Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Time to finish this one

I showed this unfinished project on Dec. 29th, 2008. This is the pile of pieces as they have been sitting for more than 3 years after I cut them swirling in the wrong direction. Because I didn't have enough fabric to re cut them I decided to go ahead and sew them and work them in. I had also run out of the center fabric to cut new centers for this stack so on the left is the substitute fabric which might be from the same line of fabric but isn't quite as dark.
After a little more than 2 hours I am at this point. (And after ripping a few)

Luckily there was a 3 hour block of new shows on last night to watch while I sewed. It took that long to create the 12 new blocks. Here is a new one on the left, old one on the right. The centers might not be noticed when the quilt is assembled. They are swirling 2 different directions in their piecing, but I think that is going to go unnoticed too. Now I need to trim all of the blocks to one size.
The back security light came on last night but I didn't see any critters. Yes, we have snow again.
We got a little over an inch yesterday morning and then it started in again late afternoon. It hadn't filled in all of the squirrel prints yet at 11 p.m. but this morning they are all covered up. This is the top 2 branches from the tree that decided to lean on my house. My brother just hauled them over after he cut them off and they will lay there all winter for the squirrels and birds to play on.

15 comments:

Karen said...

Your log cabin blocks are teriffic! We had 13" of snow between Monday and Tuesday and more expected tomorrow...yipee;)

Cathi said...

Those blocks look wonderful. I think they're going to look fabulous together!
It's snowing here and they say it may turn to freezing rain. Nice to watch, glad I don't have to go out in it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the difference is noticeable. If it is offensive I am one of the first to notice and this is defintely NOT offensive.
In fact, it probably will make it a little more interesting.
K

Joyce said...

I love the fabric. I'm sure that nobody will ever know (except us bloggers, lol) that it isn't as you originally planned.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Are these similar to the fabrics you mentioned in an earlier post? The ones that your friend wants a set of strips from? If so, I'm definitely interested in a set of strips to make a Bento Box quilt... please let me know!!

jovaliquilts said...

These are charming -- and there's so much going on, who will know about the different fabrics?

Crafts a la Mode said...

We had an ice storm and it's so beautiful outside. My mom says it's like a fairyland. I posted some pics on my blog. Love your fabric choices. Yummy.

Eva said...

I love these floral fabrics!

Sharon said...

I think the difference in these blocks, so minute as to not matter, will just make the quilt more interesting!

Looks like you have lots of visitors to your yard!
Our snow has melted and we're getting buckets and buckets of rain. You don't have to shovel rain, but the snow is prettier.

hetty said...

Very nice blocks. I don't think the difference is noticable and even if it is, just call it a design element. We got 10cm of snow today. I love it, but I don't have to go out in it!

Jeri said...

I don't think the different piecing is going to be noticed at all - I think Log Cabin is a very forgiving pattern. (and one of my favorites!) Your quilt is going to be very soft and feminine!

meggie said...

I agree with the others- no one but you will know they are not as originally intended! LOL.
I love to see the snow & the little tracks there. I know I would not really like to live in such a cold climate.

Jean said...

These look great!I don't think the swirl direction matters that much. Can't wait to see how you put them together.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Bravo for picking up an unfinished project and refiguring a solution for it. The opposite swirly blocks could be your "humility" blocks.
Definitely a departure from your colors of late.
Vicky F

Anonymous said...

Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, you are a queen at combining fabrics and using up wonky strips of fabrics into art-filled quilts! Me thinks you are OVER-thinking this project and they will be great. Especially since they will soon be done.

Sarah