Friday, September 2, 2022

For those of us who love pink and green.............


These Zinfin Doll Hydrangeas were so late to bloom (compared to Annabelles) that I didn't know if they would make it all of the way through the process from white to pink to raspberry.



The blooms that are higher up on the bush are lighter pink.







The lower blooms have the deeper raspberry color.  I wonder if this variety will make a good dried bouquet.  Last year they just went from pink to beige and then dried up on the bush.  They bloomed earlier last year, maybe forced blooms for selling them as early summer planting.






They contrast nicely with the Hostas that are planted in front of them.  I'll probably have to move the hostas next year because the bush will probably be larger.







The flowers on the green Coral Bell are just about ready to open.  I didn't remember they were such a late flower.  Those skinny stalks are stronger than they look. When it snows they are standing up tall.  Coral bells don't die totally back in the winter.






One more plant in the front garden.  I couldn't decide if the top was turning color or if there were new leaves of green just started growing out of the bottom.  So many of these plants were sunburned and crispy in our early summer heat wave.



Here is my tomato tower in the back raised bed.  That is 4 plants plus 2 volunteers that came up right next to the frame (so I tied them up to the nearest cage).  The plants are so full I can hardly get in there and find the ripe tomatoes.  I ended up with 5 total volunteer plants that are all producing along with the new plants I bought this year.

I didn't end up getting my monthly recap collage made so maybe tomorrow.  I got gas, grocery shopped 2 places, went to the bank and the post office in the morning.  Then I worked on sorting through more stuff before I can move the cutting table around the corner into the kitchen.  In the early evening I was out doing the daily "one bucket" weed pulling and filling the bird feeders.

My oldest granddaughter (and first grandchild) turns 35 today.  How did that happen?  The years fly by.............

10 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Beautiful hydrangea! I'm going to look for that one next spring. Just wait till you have greats, then you'll feel really old.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the hydrangea is beautiful. You should be able to get a good bouquet there - last year I had mine in a vase of water and kept changing out the water for several months to keep it fresh and thought of potting it as the roots were good. But in the end I didn't.

Julierose said...

Oh I do love pink and green--those hydrangeas are so lovely--especially that raspberry one--what a lovely show they are putting on for you. Hugs julierose

patty a. said...

The hydrangeas are so pretty. Something go into my fenced cora bell bed and ate a bunch of the leaves UGH! Those tomato plants are huge!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Pink and green -- whether quilting fabric or garden blooms/foliage, I love the combination!

JJM said...

I raised my hand “for those of us that like pink ‘n green” plus I like ‘blue ‘n green’ too. (*._.*) And I don’t think there is a combination I don’t like. You’re like Mother Nature yourself combining colors of fabrics we’d never guess would work but they always do. One of the biggest reasons I check in every day.

Hydrangea’s in all their glory plus unbelievable tomato bushes !

JJM

sue s said...

I have new coralbells from last year and didn't know what to expect. They are planted in pretty deep shade in a rain garden but they aren't blooming well this year. Maybe transplant shock. Love the raspberry hydrangeas!

Anonymous said...

i was a pink/green girl in high scchool in the 1965=1968 time frame. i got teased really badly but i still maintained that pink and green go together. if God can put the two together, they have to be okay. i still love it. your blog just inspires me so much. thanks for sharing. patti in florida... pleal@cfl.rr.com

Linda Swanekamp said...

The flowers look refreshing and cool. It has been such a hot dry summer.

Melanie said...


I was drawn to this post because I LOVE, LOVE pink and green. Your flower bed is absolutely beautiful, and the hydrangeas are spectacular. Now, how about a pink and green quilt???? Somehow green is always lacking since blue is the belle of the ball these days. I never tire of pink and green, very sweet and so much like garden flowers! Nice post. :o) m