Friday, May 6, 2022

Weathervane...........


I made a test block from the Weathervane die last night.  It seems so petite at 8" after using 2 dies that were 12" earlier this week.

I cut some batik scraps for this one.  It went together very nicely so I like the die.






Weathervane was one of my favorite blocks from my sampler quilt class that I gave many times in the 1970s and early 1980s, in a time period before people had access to rotary cutters (or die cutters).






You can use this die to make a floating star pattern too by turning the center pieces on the sides 180 degrees and cutting 4 squares the same size as the center square for the corners.

We had more rain yesterday and 50 degrees.  Our normal average temperature for this date is 65 degrees.  I will go from flannel shirts to short sleeves by Monday.

 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

I like both versions from that die--but maybe the cross block would be my favorite? I like all cross quilts...something about them just draws me in...
We are at 52 degrees here at 7:30 a.m.--so warmer for sure, but still another gray and rainy day...we do need the rain though so hoping we get a decent amount...hugs for a great Mother's Day weekend...Julierose

DianeN said...

I can remember the class I took from you before rotary cutters were invented. The pattern pieces printed on yellow paper and how you would have us draw the blocks on an envelope so we would learn how to look at the block and figure out how it went together. I always liked this Weather Vane block, too.

Mari said...

Very nice block. I had wondered about that die because of the way the corners are constructed. I also remember quilting before rotary cutters, when everything was paper templates cut with scissors. I went through a bunch of cereal boxes drawing templates for 2-inch squares. Those were the days! :)

patty a. said...

The block look great and my goodness with that die cutter it sure makes quick work!

JJM said...

Love the Weathervane, so Americana. Plus Sensational fabrics.

I enjoyed reading the other commenters remembering the good ole days of cereal box templates and cutting out piece by piece by hand.

JJM

Vicki W said...

That's a really pretty block. I might have to think about that one too!

Anne Ibach said...

How on earth did people cut accurately with scissors? It must have been hugely time consuming!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The block is really very lovely. Especially in the batiks.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Pretty block for sure