Thursday, May 5, 2022

Lazy day...........


I started out the day doing a load of laundry and filling birdfeeders.  Then lots of daydreaming which the experts say is good for us.

Last night I continued making test blocks from new BOB -Block on Board dies that I got last fall and winter.  Block on Board refers to all the pieces needed for a block on one die board to go through the cutter.  This one is called Arkansas Traveler.  I'm a little disappointed that the skinny triangles on the edge of the block aren't on the straight of grain but otherwise it is very accurate and easy to piece.  All corners are nipped so they match exactly with the pieces they are sewn to.  I have some more dies to make test blocks from in the next few days.


A friend in Colorado sent me some starts of the real Christmas cactus with rounded ends on them.  I planted them all in one pot and 5 of them continued to grow and add more pieces.  Now one of them has a bud.  I can't tell if it is going to bloom or dry up.  I will be patient and watch it closely.

7 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Those blocks are so pretty. That cactus is doing well too. Hope it blooms

Julierose said...

Blocks are really pretty--I didn't know there were "rounded" Christmas cacti; hope it flowers for you;))) hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

That is a very cool block. With as many Christmas Cacti as you have it has to be fun having a different variety to grow. I sure hope it blooms for you!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I had to laugh at your description of the Christmas cactus. We have a very old Christmas cactus in our family. When my mother was dating my father in high school (early 50s), she gave a piece of the rounded leaf cactus to his mother (from the plant her aunt had). She inherited the plant when my grandmother died in the 60s. It traveled in the car with us during moves, including the trek from SC to North Dakota (and back). Branches have broken off and became new plants. When my mother died in 2019, my sister accepted the responsibility of the “mother” plant. I have an offspring. My mother always referred to it as a “REAL Christmas cactus” and we were taught the difference. It is over 70 years old now.

Needled Mom said...

Pretty blocks! I’m sure your cactus will continue to do well. Have you ever grown epiphyllums?

JJM said...

Of course you would take the ‘BOB’ block make make it sparkle. Great fabric selections.

I guess I have a ‘real’ Christmas cactus too. Mine is kinda off and on with its blossoming though. I only have one plant but did buy 6 succulents this spring and hope they will inspire the cactus to stay on track. We’ll see….

JJM

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

How exciting! I have a sister in Colorado. So far the "green thumb" gene from our grandmothers hasn't really kicked in for her. Hope you actually get a bloom. If anyone can - it's you!