Sunday, May 15, 2022

It bloomed!!..............


10 days ago I posted a photo of a bud on my confused "real" Christmas cactus.  It bloomed!  I wasn't sure if the bud was going to dry up since it didn't seem to grow for more than a week.




This flower is a different shape from the Thanksgiving cactus which is marketed as a Christmas cactus.  The segments are rounded on the ends compared to the pointy ends on the Thanksgiving cactus.  I have at least 5 starts from a friend in this one pot so maybe the rest will bloom at Christmas later this year.




I got my first four tomato plants in the ground and got the square cages set up.  One of the plants has 3 small tomatoes on it and 2 plants have blossoms.  I hope I can get the rest of the plants in the ground along the driveway today.






I cut some more strip sets and added them to the batch from the night before.  I sewed 47 blocks and have 3 stacks ready to sew.  I'll cut more today.

 

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I almost got those red cages for the tomatoes but then thought my cages had another year left in them

sewyouquilt2 said...

I planted onions and garlic here. Yum I have about 96 blocks I think. Live making them

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love those red cages! I got as far as watering all the thirsty ground and pulling out all the roofing debris, trampled plants, and of course, those cursed wild garlics. I need to clear the canvas so I can come up with a plan. I have a cactus like that but with a pink bloom. It has not bloomed this year although, thank goodness, it looks very healthy.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely cactus bloom--what a super color!!
No planting here--not with my back--but I hope to enlarge my indoor plants...
need scented geraniums this year--they are so neat!! But hard to come by...
We are again covered with fog this morning--so it is humid out there...
Your blocks are so pretty--richly hued and lovely hugs, Julierose

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I haven't seen square cages like that. They look like they would work really well. And they are pretty.

JJM said...

Your new blossom is absolutely beautiful, I love it. Never have seen a blossom like it. My cactus is blooming again, this is an odd time of year for mine to bloom again. I think its showing off because I just put a new pot of succulents next to it.

JJM

MissPat said...

Based on the shape of the flower, I think that may be an Easter cactus, not a true Christmas one. Google Easter cactus to see photos. I have a white one, but it has only bloomed 1 year since I got it about 5 years ago.
Pat

O'Quilts said...

U do amaze me. I have half a mind of putting my three Christmas Cacti in a bagging and sending them off you you!!!!

patty a. said...

The bloom is so pretty! I will have to take a picture of my tomatoes. I grew them from seed for fun and they are about 1 1/2" tall now. My zucchini plants are coming along, but I won't be getting any produce for a long time. I was a bit behind in getting things started as usual. I have never seen square tomato cages. I like the color!