Saturday, May 14, 2022

50+ blocks.............


I did my share of outside work yesterday but also turned on the iron and pressed strip sets so I could cut some more blocks.  If you are making these blocks from scraps you would cut four 1.5" x 3.5" strips of one color and 1 strip the same size for the contrasting color.  Or you could have 4 different fabrics that look similar instead of all the same.  I happened to have lots of full width x 1.5" strips cut over 20 years ago (plus a few newer ones added in the last 20 years).  I get 5 or 6 blocks alike out of my combinations of strip piecing.  The blocks are 3.5" x 5.5" so they finish at 3" x 5" when sewn into a quilt top.


After sewing that batch I cut enough for 35 more blocks.



The humidity was a lot lower yesterday so I got out early and mowed 2/3 of the lawn while it was still in the 70s.  It got up to 89 by late afternoon.  I got a few more pots planted and then as it was getting dark I finished mowing the last 1/3 of the lawn.  I got 3 bags of leaf much spread and will probably do more of that today.  This photo is one bed of mostly Hostas.  There are a couple peonies planted over here as well as the Bleeding Heart and some Jack-in-the-Pulpit.  It is a nice shady corner for the Hostas.

8 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

You are amazing with what you get done everyday! Your hosts are looking healthy and happy in their shady corner :)

Julierose said...

Really pretty blocks--I want to use my batiks for some of these after I've used up my mini charms...they go on and on...what was i thinking??
hugs for a good weekend...Julierose

Mary said...

As has already been said in comments this morning, your productivity and focus are amazing. I'm loving the quilt blocks and watching this project evolve.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice that you can still keep doing your yard work in the cooler parts of the day. It was so hot yesterday that I didn't get any yard work done until after supper and then the mosquitoes drove me in

Vicki W said...

These are fun blocks. Every time I come to your blog I always want to make whatever you are making!

sewyouquilt2 said...

These blocks are like potato chips. I am up to 82 and 11 ready to sew lol. Love your colors.ads you know mine is scrappy

Peggy said...

Beautiful blooms! Does this rectangle block made with the 1.5 inc strips have a name?

Nann said...

I just figured out where I've seen a version of your blocks -- Hoytyville (sp) by Kim Schaefer, though she used wider strips. I made an entire quilt with the block . . . ought to revisit it and try 1-1/2" strips like yours. I'm going to give it another week before planting the vegetables.