Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Flannel scraps..............


When cutting the 9" tumbler shapes with my Studio die cutter I have left and right leftover pieces.  It is considered wasteful by most people who don't have a die cutter.




However it is only wasteful if you don't use them.  I decided there will be a few tumbler shapes cut from the crazy pieced blocks made from those pieces.


I made 4 of them while watching TV last night.  There are enough pieces to make 4 more blocks but I'm going to press these and cut them to see if I need to assemble them any differently to not have seams in the seam allowance.  I have all of the tumblers I need already cut for the quilt so I'll probably add another row to use the crazy pieced ones too.

I got the backing made for my Kaffe orphan quilt and found a piece of batting that is just about right for it.  I'll probably get the backing pressed and get it loaded on the longarm today.  It is going to be a cold day so I'm not leaving the house.

11 comments:

Dorothy said...

Another beauty on it's way

Cheryl said...

Great idea, and I think the nine inch tumbler will be a fun quilt. I hope it works.

Chris said...

I love the crazy pieced blocks! I would build a quilt around them! You're right, good day to stay inside today!

patty a. said...

What a great way to use up those flannel scraps! Getting them made into blocks rather than putting them in a box for later is a good idea. Sometimes we just don't get around to those scraps, but the blocks could be put together into a quilt so easily!

Julierose said...

Neat way to use those flannel scraps--this could be a really cozy quilt...
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think this is going to be another neat quilt. Depending on the size of the scraps I will keep some and discard others. I have a bundle of flannel to make a queen flannel I think - now to decide what pattern/design to use.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I love what you've done. Plaids are one of my favorites. I am working on a project of what I call "X" blocks from a mystery quilter (bag of fabric purchased at thrift). I have bordered each block in plaid, it is my newest favoriteist quilt to be.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I like the wonky flannel blocks- they have a lot of character. Waiting for the Lake effect snow to start tonight, still hoping it misses us.

JJM said...

Your designs live up to your trade mark, ‘EXUBERANT COLOR’, every day. Those happy scrappy blocks make me smile.

JJM

Vicki W said...

I did this with scraps from a large tumbler quilt once. The blocks cut from the crazy blocks are what made that quilt sing. If I hadn't used them it would have been OK but is was special with the scrap blocks included.

Lesley Gilbert said...

What a great design idea for using up those scrapping cut-offs - they certainly give a 'pop' to the other blocks and something I would do :)