Saturday, January 8, 2022

First finish of 2022..............


The blue stripe was the perfect binding to finish this Kaffe fabric orphan block quilt.  The top looked so unfinished on the left side before the binding was added.









The binding fabric was the Kaffe stripe that is printed crosswise so I had to cut the strips lengthwise.  I had 1.5 yards and thought 4 strips would be enough.  I was short just this little bit and I didn't want to cut another strip so I went to the Kaffe scrap box and figured this print would work.


I'm glad I had enough of the red cabbage print for the back.  The quilt ended up 48" x 63".












Last night I made the rest of the crazy pieced blocks for the flannel tumbler quilt.  They are going to be much nicer looking when I get them cut to shape.



I got six more bocks out of the remaining cutaways by adding in 2 more light fabrics from my flannel scrapbag.



Today I should be able to get the last 5 (or 6) rows designed and maybe sewn together.





These 2 small piles are all of the scraps left from the cutaway pieces.  I'll put them in the scrapbag from 2 years ago.  I can't believe I didn't make any flannel quilts in the 2020/2021 winter.  I know I intended to but never got around to it.


 

15 comments:

Karen H said...

Looking forward to seeing the tumbler quilt evolve. I have a tumbler die for my Accuquilt, and this is a good reminder to use it! Oh and I love the first finish of the year. It's my kind of scrappy quilt!

Libby in TN said...

Perfect binding and the scrap works perfectly.

Anonymous said...

The orphan block quilt is magical! I love your color choices and hope I am learning from them.

ceci

Lesley Gilbert said...

What a joyful looking quilt and that backing is sumptuous! I know you are keeping this quilt for yourself - enjoy. Hope the weather is kind to you this weekend :)

Julierose said...

The flannel blocks just have that "comfy" look to them...nice work on the KF big piece too hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the orphan block quilt - I have a stack of flannel too and have not decided on a pattern to use

Vicki W said...

The orphan block quilt is like an unearthed treasure. The little bit of supplemental binding fabric is almost poetic.

Anonymous said...

the blue did the job , good eye wamda.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for the first finish of the year! I played with flannels today, too … they were a Christmas gift. Your scrappy ones are so fun.

Chookyblue...... said...

great border print........the quilt looks wonderful.....congrats on the finish....

Mary said...

Your Kaifeng orphan quilt is spectacular. It has been fun watching this project come together.

JJM said...

Your Orphans are now at home where they belong, I agree the binding finishes it off perfectly and taking a nap under all these memories will surely bring happy dreams. And visions of your next design.

Your scrappy tumblers steal the show among the others and definitely adds fun to this piece.

JJM

Connie said...

Love that quilt and how you Incorporated so many designs into it it's absolutely beautiful. Looking forward to the next one.

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations on your first 2022 finish - the quilt is looking great and wow that backing fabric is perfect.The flannel tumbler will be a nice warm quilt to have covering your lap during your winter months.

patty a. said...

Congratulations on your first finish for the year! I know there will be many more. You sure have a lot of orphan blocks! Better that they are blocks than just scraps!