Monday, January 3, 2022

Backing chosen...........


I searched for a backing for the orphan block quilt yesterday.  Red was going to be my first choice and I found a 3 yard piece of this one.


This is one of those older Kaffe fabrics, 2007, that sell for $45-60 a yard on ebay and on the Facebook group that sells and trades Kaffe fabric.  This one is #94 and he is up to #183 now.  When I bought this one I figured it might be a backing because of the scale of the design.


I cut more flannel tumbler shapes yesterday.  I need to turn on the iron and press the remaining fabric choices before I can finish the cutting.  

I sewed more 2" finished triangle squares as my mindless sewing while I watched TV last night.


In the spirit of "love thyself" I made some heart shaped ice cubes for my beloved Dr. Pepper treat.  If you look close you will see Batman on the mug.  It is one of the series of Batman theme glass mugs that were given out at McDonald's back in the mid 1990s.  I made sure both of my kids had sets of them and then I collected a few for myself which grandchildren enjoyed using at my house.  The other 2 that I have are both the Riddler.

It is going to go down to 0 by this morning.  Winter is really here now, cold air and snow on the ground.  We only got about 2" of snow which is plenty.  About 30 miles north got 4-5" of snow.  My son dropped by yesterday morning and shoveled my sidewalk and porch.  My faithful snow plow guy plowed late Saturday evening.  I was inside where it was warm.

 

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Glad to hear you were inside, warm and shoveled out. We are at 30 degrees this morning and expecting snow showers on and off...
that KF big print would make a lovely backing for your quilt...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you had help for the snow removal! I kind of remember those batman glasses but have none saved -

BatikFanatic said...

Love the Kaffe backing — those large-scale prints so work wonderfully and just are so happy to have next to you. Glad you're 'indulging' yourself by using this on your nap quilt!
After a mild December we're now bracing for the deep freeze you're now experiencing; it'll be a bit of a shock but, hey, it IS winter. Time to stay in and sew!!

Mary said...

Great backing choice and what a fun way to enjoy your Dr. Pepper.

patty a. said...

The heart shaped cubes are cute! I will be catching up with reading your posts since I haven't been on the computer for the last 10 days. Flannel tumble blocks? Well, I need to keep reading to find out about those! It snowed here yesterday, but no accumulation. It is snowing here again today, but so far we have barely a dusting. I did put my ice scraper in the car yesterday when I scraped the windows on my friend's car when she left. There wasn't much on her windshield, but I hadn't even thought about putting the ice scraper in the car.

MissPat said...

I was sitting in my chair on the computer yesterday when I heard the scraping of snow shovels close by. My across the street neighbor and his three sons were out shoveling my driveway and sidewalk. We only had about 2", but it's very cold today, so I'm glad not to have to go out and clear away the snow. I love the Kaffe fabric you are using for your backing.
Pat

JJM said...

Perfect backing ~ it just couldn’t be any better than that one. . . Looking forward to your flannel Tumbler. And fun to see how you treat yourself with heart shaped ice cubes in your Batman mug.

JJM

Penny Schine Gold said...

What a great back for this quilt! And since it's going to be a lap quilt, you'll get to see it all the time :-)

Sam said...

Spoil the quilt (why not, your going to keep it) and spoil yourself. Great combination. Blessings to you this year.

Dee W said...

I love this quilt!

Mystic Quilter said...

Goodness that stunning red Cabbage Patch fabric is a real treasure!