Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Final layout sewn...........


I moved the top small block section down in the right column from the photo yesterday.  I was happy with the layout now and sewed it all together.










Next on my list was to make a sample block with the pickle dish die.  There are little tiny notches to match every single piece when sewing the outside arc and inside melon piece to the arcs.  That is what sold me on it and I waited for a good sale to buy it.  I haven't decided what fabrics to use in a quilt yet but I think I will have the little pointy pieces in black and white.  End squares have to be decided for when the blocks come together.  

Yesterday it got up to 40 degrees so I left home for the first time in 3 weeks.  I had groceries delivered last week but yesterday did my own shopping in addition to mailing letters and taking my paper recycling to the drop box by a school near me.  After I got home I went out and filled the bird feeders.  It will be in the teens today and 20s after that so I will be content to stay in again.



 

14 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

The more I look at your yellow quilt the more I like it…..I have a thing for crows and am really drawn to the colors. How large is the pickle dish block? Did you find it pretty easy to sew? Glad you were able to get out. We are headed for a deep freeze tomorrow in PA as well. Stay warm!

Julierose said...

I like the final set up a lot--looks really good...
Nice that it got warmer for your errand day. Still cold here --16 degrees--this morning...definitely an inside day...
Hugs, Julierose

Candy said...

Love what you have done with the yellow, gray and black quilt.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like yellow and it looks fabulous with that wonderful bird fabric. I am glad it got warm enough that you were able to get out at least for a little bit.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well it looks like you didn't have any trouble with pickle dish at all. Like you I matched up points, quarter inch seam and had such trouble with the block being crooked. I think I will starch my outside fabric next month when I do it again and see if that will help.
Your yellow block turned out well. We will be getting really cold weather now for the next 2 or 3 days - I can do without it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

YES YES YES - I love the yellows! I also love pickle dish blocks but I don't know if I would follow through and actually make enough to justify the cost of the die. I will watch you for now and ponder.

JJM said...

Yellows glow with warmth and happiness. Crazy quilt blocks are the nests your black birds are building. This is one fun quilt top that has entertained me every time I see it. I thought your blue rectangles was my favorite for the month but this one took its place.

OMG Wanda ~ your new ‘Pickle Dish’ block looks extremely time consuming. I admire you so for tackling this one.

JJM

Anne Ibach said...

I would never approach that pickle dish block with traditional piecing. I'd want to do it with paper piecing. I'm guessing accurate cutting with the die makes it much easier. Plus, you're a lot more accomplished piecer than I am!

Would love to hear your ideas on paper piecing vs traditional piecing with accurately cut pieces.

cityquilter grace said...

wow gorgeous projects...pickle dish has been whispering my name for a very long time...

Needled Mom said...

LOVE the yellows! Pickle dish has always been a favorite of mine. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a contrast between the improv yellow blocks and the precise pickle dish! You certainly are versatile and talented!

patty a. said...

The yellow and black quilt layout looks great! Those pickle dish blocks are fabulous! The B&W triangles with the graphic bright print is stunning! You are going to have a lot of fun designing a quilt with this die!

Sue said...

I love the change you made in the yellow crazy quilt top. The color of this one sure does make me smile!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I remember when you started this, Wanda. Happy to see that it is getting some love!