Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Pairs of fabric.............

Just a reminder and link: The end is near, my 7 day pop-up shop is open until midnight EDT today, click here.  Then it will be gone.  

I brought all of the rest of the 10" squares upstairs to check which fabrics I had already used in the blocks on the design wall.  Usually there are 2 of each of most of the fabrics in a 10" stack.  I started pairing them preparing for cutting today.  I have no idea how those oranges are going to look cut up.

This is the second group I chose and the first time I have chosen to use  Spot as one of the main churn dash pieces.  So far I had only used it as a center square.
The last group is good contrast so I expect them to look great.  I am cutting with my die cutter so I can do 6 layers at a time, 3 blocks at a time.
The first Early Girl tomato has ripened.  It is about tennis ball size.  The one to the right is a 4th of July variety, about golf ball size.  Far right are super sweet golden cherry tomatoes.  There are so many more tomatoes on the plants and for a couple days we have had the temperatures they like for ripening.  Now we are going back into another heat wave for about a week so I'm hoping for the best.

10 comments:

patty a. said...

You have lots of fun fabrics to play with! The tomatoes are so pretty sitting on the window sill. My yellow squash plant on the deck is producing fruit, but a couple of them only got about 4" long and then they started to shrivel. I have no idea what is going on. Maybe I will just have to harvest them while they are small. It would take a lot of them to make a meal. LOL!!

Libby in TN said...

I'm sure you've said before, but what cutter do you use? As my hands get gimpier (is that a word?), they tire more quickly when I cut.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

my early girls have been slow to ripen but the plants are covered in green tomatoes - I'm actually hoping a lot will ripen at once so I can make a batch of marina sauce from them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Such dynamic and bold prints in those layer cake squares - I agree about the oranges being a challenge (hope they do like so many of his prints and look better once they're cut up).

Linda Swanekamp said...

Lots of great choices for sure. It is going to be stunning in color and variety.

Julierose said...

Lovely fabric selections you have there; I like how the KF's look cut up a lot--am cutting some of his Blue & Green range charm packs into hexagons for a Winter hand project...
Those tomatoes are looking luscious...yum
Stay safe-- Hugs after grocery shopping--phew!! Julierose

Agilejack said...

It will be interesting to see how those oranges work in these blocks. I've seen some fun quilts made with them.

Your tomatoes are amazing! I have two little sungolds that are almost ready to eat and quite a few more on the vines that are a ways from ripening. It's really tough to grow tomatoes here in Portland. I gave up on larger varieties and stick with cherry varieties instead and have a little more luck.

I would love to have that big one for a BLT! The best way to eat the first garden tomato!

JJM said...

Circus tents and big beautiful blossoms... I had to take a second look at the orange print after you mentioned it. I now will be anxious to see how they cut up.

Its tomato season that everyone has plants right now. And you have a nice collection going on. Home grown are so much sweeter...

JJM

kathy6024 said...

Love the quilt I bought from your shop. Kaffe's orange print is one I didn't buy and don't like myself.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nothing quite as happy making than playing with KF Collective fabrics!
Enjoy your home grown tomatoes, nothing quite like the smell as you pick them from the vine in your own garden.