Thursday, July 30, 2020

Final decision.............

I took the parts of 4 blocks to the design wall to decide how to place the corner triangles.  One fabric is white with black scribbles, the other black with white scribbles.  Because they look like hand printed fabric it really isn't consistent across the fabric.  There is almost an even amount of black and white in both of them so the value is pretty close in them.
In the first layout the 4 light corners are in the centers of the blocks and the 4 darks are where the blocks meet.  That is the layout I thought I would like best.
In the second layout 2 blocks have light centers, 2 blocks have dark centers and where blocks meet it is 2 and 2.
IN the third layout the centers of the blocks are dark and where 4 blocks meet it is light triangles.  Like I mentioned above the value of both prints is so close it is hardly noticeable when there are changes.
The fourth layout is the one I thought I would like the least and almost didn't try it.  In the end it is my favorite.  Centers of squares and where 4 blocks meet are all 2 dark and 2 light triangles.  In person the difference between the 2 fabrics shows more but from across the room it all looks the same.  Moral of the story, from a distance this quilt might not be very exciting but close up it is quite interesting.

Now I can sew the blocks together and then I'll go to the design wall and do a quick layout and get it all sewn together.  I also sewed the parts for 7 more Churn Dash blocks so that quilt top is getting closer to a finish.

9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

liking those blocks a whole lot...nice fabric choices...

Linda Swanekamp said...

I biggie sized all the photos to look at them and you are right, the last photo is the most interesting. I don't know how lots of blocks would look. You'll find out when you put it on the wall.

Julierose said...

Good choice for the light/dark meeting places...This will really be eye-catching...~ ~ ~ waving in the thick fog this morning Julierose

patty a. said...

In the photos it is hard to tell the difference between the two fabrics, but regardless the end result is lovely! The black and white fabric is a wonderful contrast to the colored fabrics.

Nann said...

It is hard to tell -- good thing YOU can keep them straight! The b/w fabric is such a good foil for the colors.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love the last layout! So - will you be able to get both tops together by midnight July 31? - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Total fan of the option you chose, Wanda. Happy sewing!!

Charlotta said...

Hard as I try, and even though I know the answer, I cannot tell them apart! So I have no input. I love them all!

Needled Mom said...

Had you not mentioned it, I would have thought they were the same fabric. Old eyes, I guess. They are great fabrics!