Saturday, April 11, 2020

Stress reliever stitching............

I had 6 blocks leftover from a quilt I made several years ago and that was just right for a small table runner.  I decided I would do the matchstick quilting which is around 1/8" - 1/4" apart in parallel rows.  The only decision I had to make is how close the next line of stitching would be.  Only the right half is finished in this photo and with the light from the window coming across it you can see the texture (click on it for larger photo).  I had about 2 1/2 hours into it at this point.
With the light directly on it you can barely see the stitching.  I finished the quilting while watching TV and then trimmed it and sewed on the binding.  I have started the hand stitching.  I'll show it with the light coming across it when it is done.


I stopped stitching and baked last night.  This is one of my favorite desserts.


I know someone will ask for the recipe so I'll just post it right now so it is on the same day as the photo of the yummy treat.  The house smells so good now.  I rarely bake unless I'm going to have company so I have missed it with this isolation.  I'm sharing some with family and some will go into the freezer for a day when I "need" something sweet.

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Very pretty "fun sewing" squares...I like the matchstick quilting on this one...
Those Holiday Squares look really yummy--enjoy
~ ~ ~ waving Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that quilting on that piece and your cakes look wonderful - I will be doing Hot Cross Buns today - I have never made them and will give half to my daughter, we will eat some and freeze the rest.

Mary said...

I have been craving sweets during this stay at home period. Yours look wonderful.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Cute little pans! Hmm, wonder if I could make it gluten free? My husband has celiac and it is always a challenge baking. I tried making yeast cinnamon rolls for him this week, and it was a full fledged kitchen disaster in cleaning and getting it rolled.

Hannah said...

Looks good, and I have all the ingredients. I might actually bake something. Thanks for the recipe.

Sally Langston Warren said...

I always love you exuberant colors and quilts! This time I want to ask you about the dessert! (Looks delicious and of course is a pretty color!) I see the recipe calls for a 13 x 9 pan but you used the mini loaf pans. I found a box of never used mini loaf pans at my mother’s house as we have been cleaning out (such a hard job). I was fascinated with them and kept them. Did you do anything special to adapt your recipe to use these?

sue s said...

I have a can of cherry pie filling that needs to be used!

JJM said...

I enjoyed seeing the texture created with your match stick stitching, and seeing how the lighting makes such a huge difference with photos .

And even though I can't have sugar, etc. I got a delicious visual treat. That was one of my favorites too.

77 degrees yesterday and it's snowing today... Springtime in the Rockies...but I hear it's same in Sandwich.

JJM

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yummy looking dessert (and small quilted table runner, too!!)

Mystic Quilter said...

I like to see matchstick quilting, I love the texture even though it is quite time consuming. Your squares look delicious!!

mpv61 said...

Linda Swanekamp, you can make the recipe gluten free by substituting a GF one-for-one flour mix. Sometimes you might need to add a bit more liquid for the GF, or add xanthan gum, but start by using the GF one-for-one mix.

The first try might not be perfect, but that's when you improvise, like, "I can scrape off the cherry, toast the rest like bread, and then add the cherry back on for a yummy sweet toast w/jam!" Then you tweak the recipe next time to try to get it closer to what you want.

I have celiac disease and two of my three kids do as well -- it helps to have a sense of humor for your baking!