Friday, April 24, 2020

Elastic arrived............

I received my order of 1/8" elastic yesterday.  I ordered from an ebay seller on the 18th and received it on the 23rd.  I carefully read where the seller was mailing from to be sure I wasn't ordering from another country.  This order came from Virginia.


Then I started making masks again grouped by thread color.  I had gold thread on the machine when I started so I did these 3.






Next I changed to light blue on top and medium blue in the bobbin for this group of 7.










I switched to medium beige on top and sewed the blue one that has beige on the reverse side and then put in a beige bobbin to finish the rest of this batch of 6.

Yesterday was so much fun reading which panel was your favorite for the African fabric project.  #1 (zebra on orange background) and #2 (3 masks) got the most votes. It makes me wonder if I had put them in a different order would the same 2 have gotten the most votes? I also wonder if I had said 3 faces and 2 faces instead of masks if there would have been any reference to what I call a "theme" quilt in the comments.  I think of African masks as ceremonial or celebration items and never attached any thought of the current situation to them.  I have tunnel vision though.  No criticism of your broader view.  #3 (elephant) and #6 (2 masks) were the next highest votes.

I'm not going to make a rush decision so maybe by Monday I will have an answer.  Thoughts going through my head: #6 has always been my least favorite of all of the panels so if I wanted to sell this as a wallhanging that might be the one I use. Also what I use as the fill in fabric around each panel is going to change the look so I will be experimenting with choices there.  If I decide I'm going to keep it for myself I would choose my favorite panel.  So many random thoughts to get to the finish...

12 comments:

Julierose said...

You have been busy making those masks....
Will be looking forward to seeing which panel you end up choosing...
~ ~ ~ waving under the umbrella AGAIN Julierose

Marnie Haines said...

Just love the suspense that you have created regarding the African print quilt. Is it for you or for sale, which panel and then what border? You are providing great fun for us all during this time that our social choices are limited. Marnie

Quayquilter said...

Good that you are using a) nice fabric and b) toning thread!

floribunda said...

Ha ha — I am currently struggling with an eBay seller that said they were shipping from California but it turned out they were shipping from China. I neglected to look at their ratings... I’ve asked for a refund repeatedly and have now escalated it to management! In the meantime I ordered a small batch from someone with a 100% rating in the US and it arrived yesterday. The elastic seems a bit flimsier than what I was expecting, but I’ll make it work...

Anonymous said...

I'm still a fan of # 2. When I looked at the seven options, I spent the most time looking at #2. I would look at the center, then at one of the blocks, then the center, then a different block. For me, that means that I like what is going on in the whole quilt. For most of the others, I just looked at the panel in the center and then moved on to the next one.

When I look at #6, I also do some of the same looking at the whole quilt. But I think that panel has too much gold at the borders. The first one with the zebras is okay. There is enough color to blend well with the blocks. Many of the other panels would do better if they were the focus and then the colors for the block were chosen to coordinate better with the panel.

I really think the quilt is calling to the three masks. But just my thoughts today.
deb

JJM said...

Your African crazy pieced blocks are so exciting, no matter which panel you decide to use, will be perfect.

Your dedication to make more, and more masks daily, is a true heartfelt gift of donating for the cause. Sounds like wearing masks is ordered for a good long time, in IL...And your 'stay at home' order will not be lifted until Memorial Day.

Our Governor has given the o.k. for restaurants to open with the 6 foot distancing between tables. And most retail business can open their doors again. But we are to honor the 6 foot distancing and masks are optional.

JJM
p.s. still trying to get my iPad to work with Google. So frustrating....

Lily said...

The blocks overwhelm #6.

Susan said...

If # 6 is your least favorite, I'd be happy to buy it from you. ksmcrae@mac.com

patty a. said...

Great job on those masks. It seems like there will never be enough.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You are really neat with making the masks and changing threads. I have just been making them without a lot of concern to neatness and especially not changing threads. Not that I was making them fast.

Donna said...

I think # 6 is the best because the border is so busy (and beautiful) that panel 6 allows it to stand out. And panel 6 is also allowed to stand out, as well.

Norma Schlager said...

Wow! you have made a LOT of masks. I like your color choices, so pretty! I, too, change the thread colors. A little extra work, but it does look nicer.