Friday, April 3, 2020

Small projects............

I got the binding on two more mug rugs.  


I made 2 sets of masks in the same fabrics. Two of them went to family friends and I kept 2 on hand in case someone else needs one.






This is the other side of those two masks.  I'm using batiks that I hadn't found a use for before.


This group was given to family and friends last week.



I cut prints for 9 more framed 9 patch blocks and paired them with contrasting solids.  That leaves 11 more to find fabrics for.


This is one of the fabrics in the photo above.  It is a Hoffman print from the 1990s and I have used it in many quilts over the years.  It reminds me of Picasso paintings.




I went outside late in the afternoon and did some more leaf raking and filling bird feeders.  I also put fresh water in the birdbath since the birds have been using it a lot.  Then I went out with my camera to capture the earliest signs of spring here.  This is a little volunteer forsythia bush with a few blooms.
I think this is a Columbine plant. (found out later it is a Bleeding Heart). I just uncovered this one yesterday and it is loving the sunshine.  I'll share a few more nature photos tomorrow.  I have one more day of raking but I haven't been bagging the leaves.  There are several piles of them and it is supposed to rain Saturday so even if they almost dry off today they are going to get wet all over again in their new location.

15 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

My grandkids and I did a 2 mile walk yesterday looking for flowers and birds. I took the camera along and their sharp eyes spotted all kinds of things including teddy bears in windows that people are doing. Nice work going on in your corner of the world.

Julierose said...

that "Picasso -like" print is amazing...you do find the most delectable fabrics, Wanda. Great looking masks...now that (finally) we are supposed to wear them in groceries...my hubs cleaned out the ashes from our fireplace yesterday and found his mask invaluable...--so many uses
for them
~ ~ ~ ~ waving in the rain Julierose ;)))

The Joyful Quilter said...

You weren't kidding with the title of your post, were you? Unloved (or at least unused) old batiks? Good idea on lining the masks with those!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I plan on making a few more mask to keep on hand and for Melanie and her work companions at the library although we don't know how much longer it will be open for just the employees and their on line programs in the building they are all staying in their corners and cleaning as they are there

Nancy said...

Mask making is happening here, too. Quilters seemed to be ahead of the curve on this. That Hoffman fabric is the best!! Happy stitching and be well.

patty a. said...

Mug rugs look good! I made my first masks yesterday for my neighbor. I made ones with ties since I don't have elastic. It was nice to get outside and check out what is starting to green up. I see blooms are starting to open on my neighbor's magnolia tree and it is loaded. I think the tree is much happier since I had the pine tree cut down and it is now getting more air circulation. I will post a picture of it once the blooms start opening up. That Hoffman fabric is so cool! Your fabric collection always amazes me!

Anonymous said...

Think the plant is a bleeding heart...

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Yay! So glad you're starting to see signs of Spring. I just saw a mocking bird in one of our bird baths. It has been dry and windy here and the water disappears very quickly.

Jean said...

I've been making masks too for family and our local hospital too. I think everyone is happy to make something that is needed plus we are able to help in our own small way.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I will be making a few masks in the next few days - we, too, will be using them for the grocery store (at least a couple of weeks before we need to venture out but the surge here is anticipated over the next 2-4 weeks). Different design than yours - we need nose wires since we all wear glasses and the rectangular ones seem to make mine fog up terribly (tried two versions and decided to try something different for the third). Great way to use fabrics that are challenging. Gotta keep things interesting.

JJM said...

Wanda, you have been very busy with your mug rugs and masks, plus doing spring yard clean up. It was a great post today

Volunteering to make mask has stipulations that make it difficult, to produce them in our area. They ask for a specific interlining (it is to filter and stop germs) plus all must have the wired nose piece. The mask must be made so the interlining can removed and laundered separately, from the mask.

JJM

SueR said...

Lots of folks are getting onboard with making masks, and I decided to make a few too after watching the news this morning. Most of the directions I've seen advise using a tightly woven fabric, and I did think about batiks. I think that's a good choice. I have some pillowcases I'm not using, and those are a pretty high thread count too so might cut up one of those too. They're white, boring but useful nonetheless.

mb-RI said...

Do you have a pattern that you are following. If not, may I ask the length of the fabric and the length of the elastics that you use?

MissPat said...

I agree with the anonymous poster that your plant is a white bleeding heart.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh that early Hoffman is fantastic!