Wednesday, April 22, 2020

African crazy piecing progress.........

I made 2 more blocks and took them down to the ironing table.  This is what they look like before trimming.








This is the rest of the batch that was waiting to be pressed before trimming.









Here are the new trimmed blocks with the original six that I made earlier.  They are 10" finished size blocks so I'm not sure where I'm going from here on the project.  I do have several batik panels with African scenes on them that  might look great with these blocks.



This is a leftover block which will probably get used somewhere.  It is nice to have an extra block in case one of the others doesn't work too well.









When I was done sewing all of the blocks I sorted all of the left over scraps by size and bagged them separately.  I'll have to cut some more pieces from yardage if I make more of these blocks.




I ended the day making 7 more face masks.  I'm out of elastic.  My intention when I started making them was to sew them until I ran out of my 75 cent packages of elastic. (The 75 cent packages of 1/8" had 4 yards in them and the 1/4" had 3 yards.)  I broke down and ordered some more 1/8" elastic a few days ago and it is on its way to me.  It cost me 84 cents a yard.  Each yard is enough for 2 1/2 masks.  Doesn't this sound like a grade school math story problem?  The end decision is that when I run out of this elastic (50 masks) I'm done making them.  I do have some more of the t-shirt strips to use in place of elastic so that will be the very last batch.  I have used over 12 yards of batik fabric so far and was happy to use up some of my least favorite ones and large scraps.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

The crazy blocks came together quickly and they are so richly colored...
I want to make two more masks for us so we can alternate...
~ ~ ~ waving in the rising sun Julierose :)))

Linda M said...

I’m curious where you were able order the elastic from. It’s slim pickings here for elastic.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I love all of your bright, colourful, wonky, weird African blocks. Can't wait to get sewing scrappy pieces again, hopefully one day soon :) Another bright sunny day here - sending you some 'warm' hugs :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much energy in those block, Wanda!! Good luck with deciding what to do next.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Elder son has asked that I convert the masks with ties that I made for him so they have elastic ear loops (he ordered the elastic last night to match what he has on the masks provided by his hospital for the non-clinical staff). 12 yards of less-loved fabric turned into useful items is a win-win for sure.

Anonymous said...

I ordered elastic from Amazon a few weeks ago. I ordered a spool of 1/4 inch and a spool of 1/8 inch. It could be May 20 before I get it. Shipping is about as much as the cost of elastic. I figure I can make masks and also offer elastic to friends who are also sewing masks.

I am using batik for at least one side of masks. Once I know how the fit is for each of the people I am making them for, I will probably make more masks and use batik for both sides since I think that fabric is a little bit better for the masks.
deb

Danice G said...

The masks look great. Wow, you have made so many. 'Love the African print blocks too.

patty a. said...

Your African blocks are wonderful. They are going to make a beautiful quilt. I also have been using my batiks that I am over in the masks for work. I haven't calculated how many yards I have used yet. I will put in an expense report at work at the end of the month so I will have a number then.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Really gorgeous prints and colours in your blocks.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the crazy pieced blocks with the zebra centers!
Have some more masks to finish and then I will have to dig out some of my treasured, but this far unused , batik panels.
Thanks, as always for the inspiration Wanda!