Thursday, April 30, 2020

Rainy day sewing........

I loaded this quilt on the longarm on Tuesday but I didn't change the needle until yesterday morning.  I quilted it shortly after lunch.  I didn't even have this one on my 'to quilt' list.  A friend pieced the top and left it with me along with her flannel scraps when she moved away. I had it tucked into the garment bag with other small projects and when I spied it I thought it would be a great 3rd finish for this month.


I pieced the batting using the 3 step zig zag to hold the butted edges together.  A plain zigzag seems to make a ridge that is too compressed and sometimes shows on a finished quilt.




A medium size meander seemed just right for this quilt.








I sewed the binding on later in the afternoon.












Since the front has pink and lavender and flowers I decided pink was appropriate for the back and binding.










I ended up with the elephants panel in the crazy pieced African fabric quilt top.  The quilt top is 40" square.  I could have spent another month on this trying different fabrics to frame the panel but decided I have spent enough time on it.  I could have used any one of the panels but this one just fit the spot best.  I also could have trimmed down the blocks and then I wouldn't have needed a border around the panel but I just couldn't do that.


It rained almost all day yesterday but I took this photo a couple days ago.  The tiny blue flowers on the Brunnera are such an intense color but the camera just doesn't pick that up.

8 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Nice little TAW quilt and those elephants are happy you chose them.
Any of your great panels would have looked fabulous

The Joyful Quilter said...

Three cheers for a third finish for April!! The Elephants are ready. Are you going to sneak in a fourth?!?!

hetty said...

Hey Wanda. Love your TAW. And elephants are my favourite. I haven't been able to leave a comment on your blog for a long time because I lost my blog. But I have been inspired by your posts daily. Yesterday I started a new blog. Hope to change my silence in the days to come. Ignore the return email address from Google. It should be henriettegruener@gmail.com (All my accounts were compromised last year while I was hospitalized.)

Julierose said...

Lovely Trip piece--nice quilting on this one...
I love the elephants panel with those CQ blocks...they just seem to look great there...
~~ ~ ~ wving under the bumbershoot today Julierose

Anonymous said...

I remember that little quilt top! Maybe now it will find a good home!
Mary G.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have my friend's granddaughter's baby quilt loaded and over half done. Happy with the progress. I will wait to finish until she comes over as she wants to see the process. There are 3 baby quilts that need to be finished at the end of the May for Sarah's Hands2Help challenge.

patty a. said...

That's is great you got another finish for the month! It is a cute quilt. We have had a lot of rain too. We need some sunshine!

Anonymous said...

This is very timely - I've been thinking about how one could best piece batting to use up some of my bigger scraps 0 butting them together and perhaps hand sewing in a zig zag might work!

ceci