Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sidetracked again.........

I intended to work on the sashing on the Spring Star project.  I started out the day yesterday looking for something and opened my dad's briefcase.  He passed away in Aug. 2013 and I just put everything pertaining to him and my mother in that briefcase.  2 hours later I had cleaned out and recycled or shredded about half of the contents.  Didn't find what I was looking for. One thing I did find was my paternal grandmother's obituary.   She died at the end of the Spanish flu pandemic 1918-1920.  All 5 of her children were sick.  My dad was 6 years old.  That particular flu was deadly for healthy 20-40 year olds and she was 37.  We have come a long way in medicine in the last 100 years.

I went to the basement to get the fabric to work on the sashing and the Blooming 9 patch caught my eye.  I decided to sew some more rows and now have the 3 rows for each corner section sewn but didn't turn on the iron so I couldn't sew them together.  That took up most of the afternoon and into the evening.

I had these boxes of small Kaffe scraps out a couple days ago and they were still on the table in the basement and I looked through them but didn't put them away.
I knitted a little on another dishcloth while trying to decide what to do next.  I decided to just take my photos and write my blog post.  Day done.

12 comments:

Mary said...

I found some old family documents in a folder this week. Trying to decide if I have the courage to finally destroy them.

JoAnne said...

Your day sounded like my week, Wanda! I've had trouble focusing on any one project for very long. I finally stopped watching so much news and did better yesterday! I have embroidery, english paper piecing hexies, wool pincushions, and charity sewing in the works. Plan to start some face masks today. As my mother-in-law always said, "it'll all work out". Have a great week!

Sylvia Anderson said...

Good morning Wanda. Seeing the sun in the morning gives me a whole new outlook on the day ahead. I cannot remember my dad ever talking about the Spanish Flu Pandemic, and he would have been 8 at the start of it, living in Holland at the time. He died in 2013, the same as your dad. Stay safe, and enjoy your day sewing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yesterday we had sunshine for the first time in over a week (cold temps but clear skies). It was glorious. Felt so much more like getting things done. Today we're back to gray skies again with rain on the way. Sigh. I keep working through things that must be done, making sure meal prep is on track for the three of us (younger son has moved home for the time being - everything he's involved with has closed down and his apt. building is a bit of a tomb with so many students gone home to do distance learning), and sewing here and there as life permits. It could be much worse so I'm grateful we're together and well (as are elder son and his crew across town).

Julierose said...

I opened my straw hamper basket and re-found my crazy quilt fabrics--now I want to start making another one...you never know what idea will strike you, do you? but that is the fun part of it I think...hugs, Julierose

ebwhite said...

When I have a day like yours, many projects seemingly without focus, I stop to think how blesses I am to have multiple choices. I also find days wandering between projects without time constraints rather relaxing. Hope to have many such days while isolated here in Houston.

Lesley Gilbert said...

In your own way you did get a lot done in the end. Interesting facts you shared about your family history and it's 100 years since that time. I liked the look of all those kaffe scraps - don't blame you for not putting them away.
No sewing for me this week but I have been painting, gardening, diy etc, so keeping busy while 'socially distancing' myself - I see a lot of sewing time ahead so not a problem :)

JJM said...

I wonder what you're up too, today... yesterday sounded like a most of my days, since I'm not a quilter, I roam from one project or chore to another, every day. (^._.^)

Spring sunny days in the mountains and we got all the pine needles and pine cones raked and picked up out of our yard yesterday.

JJM

O'Quilts said...

Wanda...You are inspiring me again....I must make a written list, not just one in my phone...but what I can see...I have so much paperwork to go thru..
The only way to do it is to begin it...Maybe I will get distracted soon with masks for my healthcare friends with batik....like you xo

Mi abuelita Beni said...

Estoy preocupada por todo esto, como la gente va a comer. Sigo usando los recortes de pana que me regalaron en una manta, esto me tiene contenta. Qué tengan un hermoso día.
Gabi desde Argentina

Mystic Quilter said...

I find that with all that's going on in the world right now it's oh so easy to become sidetracked. In my case it's more of a case of trying to decide what to sew next, can't seem to concentrate.

Sharon Dallman said...

I would really love to see more of that Spring Star quilt. Have you posted about it previously and I missed it? It looks so lovely I thought it would be nice to see the whole pattern and quilt.