Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Still on schedule, barely................
I taught my class and didn't get home until 3:30. I had a mild headache from the thunderstorms that went through in the early morning hours so I didn't get into the project until later in the evening. I started putting the pieces of the "Tuesday project" on my design wall trying to keep them straight this time. If you have never put a diagonal patterned quilt on a design wall you have no idea how hard it is to keep it straight.
This is the inspiration quilt in one of Kaffe Fassett's books. You will notice that he has 4 squares in the center and 12 squares surrounding it in each of his square areas. I have one in the center with 8 surrounding it. The main reason is I get 8 pieces across the fabric and would have to cut 2 strips to get 12 and then I would have 4 left over.
This is the book that it is in.
Here I have stacked the sewn strip sets and am cutting them off to make the 4 patches. I'm glad I had gotten all of the sets sewn on Sunday night.
Here is a string of 4 patches coming off the machine.
And now on to the results in the class today. This quilt will end up 5 across by 7 down so there are still more squares to be sewn.
The batik one is coming along nicely.
I didn't get a picture when she had the last block on the wall for this one. She got all of the seams sewn in one direction before she left.
This one is completely sewn together. Rather than make circles, she chose to make trails through the top. She has 2 borders planned for it.
Aren't they great? The other class is on Friday so I'll report their progress on Sat.

19 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

The beaded curtain quilt is clever, fun and great colors.

Diane said...

Amazing variety in those student quilts!

Jean said...

These class quilts are awesome...it is so much fun to see what everyone came up with in colors and then see how it looks. Saves us making all those up, right? lol

Dolores said...

The students must be so proud of their accomplishments. All of the quilts are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love seeing the results of the students' different fabric choices? And then, when someone does something unexpected?

Cathi said...

Wow -- the students' quilts are fabulous! What fun to watch these take shape.
The Beaded Curtain is fascinating -- what concentration that must call for when working on it!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I love seeing what all your students are doing with the same technique!

Are you keeping all that white on the beaded curtain? I love seeing all that floating in the white.

Julia said...

All very impressive. The purple and green is my favorite!

Beena said...

I like your beaded curtain quilt way more better than the one on the pattern cover! Way more better!

And love the student quilts. I am salivating over the one in cool colors!

Hope you are feeling better today, and are migraine free.

Deanna said...

Love the Kaffe quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

GREAT GREAT post ~ love what you are doing and love how you are showcasing what your students are doing ... how cool is that to see your work on your teacher's blog?!?!?!

Still say I wish I lived closer!

Martha said...

So glad I found your blog. Love the quilts.

Unknown said...

Love your new Kaffe quilt. It really does look like a beaded curtain. I just purchased a boat load of Kaffe fabrics. Mostly brights. I have to say that I really love how your students quilts are turning out. They really look great!

karen said...

I'm not in your part of the country, but I'm just curious. Where do you teach? Lucky students!!

Anonymous said...

Busy schedule plus a headache, to slow you down...but still keeping on schedule. I don't know how you do it.

Your beaded curtain is looking so good.

Students in your class have shown you what a great teacher you are! They are ALL amazing.

J~MT

Wendy said...

Wish I was in your class! Love all of them, especially the one with trails, really has movement, very cool.

Meggie said...

Lovely to see your students differing ideas & designs.

SueR said...

I have been just fascinated with the Strips and Curves class. I am crazy about the one with the Christmas fabrics, probably because that is the kick I happen to be on this month! The rainbow batik one was gorgeous too. I love the Day of the Week quilt thing too!

Wanda said...

It must bring you joy to be a part of opening up and assisting with so many creative minds!! Wonderful work in the class.