Friday, July 10, 2009

I happened to glance up at my small design wall........
and saw that my scrappy combination of double 4 patch blocks were up there. I am heavy in the combination with the light chain and light in the ones with a dark chain to make the design come out even. The 4 corners should have all been dark chains.
I wasn't sure if I like the way 2 dark blocks come together at the corners of the center diamond so then I alternated dark and light chains within the center diamond. Once again I didn't have quite the right number with dark chains so 3 blocks in the outer rows are wrong in this one. I'm not sure which way I want it to be so I'll make some more blocks from the leftover basket quilt strips and add more rows.
I didn't feel like hand sewing on the binding yesterday so I started quilting the little baby quilt, also made with leftover 4 patches. I have 3 different machines that I quilt with. This one is the Babylock Quilters Professional straight stitch only machine. I really like the walking foot on this one because it has a nice narrow groove between the sides so your eye really stays on the seam line.
This machine also has a nice slow even speed so my ditch quilting is really in the ditch. When you want to go fast it does 1500 stitches per minute though, great for sewing on those long borders.
I only got both sides of the border quilted and 3 vertical rows out of 5 done. I still have the horizontal rows and then I have to decide if I will add free motion quilting or possibly some diagonal lines through the squares .
The weather was beautiful yesterday, not too cool, not too hot, just right.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the look of "chains" in a quilt. It really helps to make your eye travel across the quilt. Your quilting looks perfect on your quilt, barely noticeable in the ditch. I think that we are getting your weather today!

Betsy said...

wanda it looks very nice to me.

Julie Bagamary said...

Wow- what a productive day! Nice results.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Love it! So pretty.

Hey, i'm having a fabric giveaway/contest today for designer fabric lovers! Come on over and check it out.

Eva said...

I'm in love with the one on top! Such a harmony of colours!

Janet said...

Perfect stitching. I can see why you have this machine. The contrast in the chains is great.

Beena said...

I like either combination pictured of the 4 patch blocks you've shown. The blocks are so lovely, that it doesn't seem amiss at all that the chains aren't some all some particular way. I like the combination of light and dark in a more random arrangement.

I've never tried quilting with my Babylock. It is so great for everything else, and I keep thinking I'll try quilting with it, but never get around to it.

Weather has been more manageable here, but then we're finally getting a bunch of rain.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I have that Babylock Pro too and really like it as well. It does a great job of free motion (for projects too small to put on the HQ-16). I sometimes put the feeder pin up doing free motion and it works very much like a stitch regulator!

Lovely colors. I'm going to USA in September and already making my shopping list. Lots of quilt & fabric stores in Portland!

Jean said...

Very pretty quilt. I love the colors.

meggie said...

Love those colours!

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Those colors in the double four patch are so inspiring! I guess it's hard to go wrong with batiks.
Vicky F

Tar10rat said...

Hi Wanda, I really like the colours in this one. I too have one of these machines - in fact I loved it so much I bought a second one! One is set for fast sewing with the quarter inch foot and the other set up for quilting with the walking foot. Robyn

Anonymous said...

Once again you have reminded me that stitching in the ditch can be done with exact precision with your Baby Lock walking foot.

Thanks ~ Wanda

J~MT

p.s. and for telling I have one that came with my machine (*._,*)