Saturday, July 11, 2009

I was trying for 3 finishes this week.........
but I may have to settle for 2, OR work very hard today. I got the ditch quilting done on both of these small quilts. Now I can add some free motion stitching. I am half done with the hand stitching on the binding on the yellow quilt.
Here is the rest of my garden walk last night. My balloon flowers are just popping up all over in the front garden. I like the coral bells with them.
I have both pink and blue/purple balloon flowers.
This is a nice picture of my fingernail in the upper left corner. I took 2 pictures of this hosta in bloom and both of them had the end of my finger in them. I just wanted you to know not every picture comes out great. Hostas are not known for beautiful flowers but this year they really are pretty. About half of my hostas are in bloom now. The ones in the background are the last to bloom, toward the end of summer.
I have heard a lot of ladies say they don't like green when they are picking out quilt fabric. As far as I am concerned green is almost a neutral which can be used with anything. Mother Nature showed me that.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

The quilts look great, but your garden is just fantastic! I absolutely agree with you about the green being a neutral. I was just telling a customer of mine the same exact thing 2 days ago!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

It seems a lot of us like quilting and gardening - I wonder if it is because we like color!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Betsy said...

your quilts and garden both look fantastic.

Janet said...

I love the pics of your garden especially the variety of green. Yes, I agree that green can be a neutral. Job well done finishing up those quilts.

Sharon said...

I was thinking the exact same thing about green yesterday. Every color that was in bloom was surrounded by green, and every one looked fantastic!

Cathi said...

The quilts look super -- and your garden looks wonderful! Green as a neutral makes perfect sense -- it's a great background for all those glorious floral colours in nature!

Vicky F said...

Go, Wanda, Go! Sounds like you are on a finishing roll!

I am not a big fan of green clothing, so that makes it so I don't look at green at the quilting store. However, I am making an effort to start adding a variety of greens in fat quarter increments to my stash. I have noticed my friends who are great applique quilters use many shades of green in their leaf and stem choices. I'm trying to learn from them (and you).
Vicky F

imquilternity said...

The quilts are really beautiful as all of your quilts seem to be. I would love to see a quilt that you've made that you consider a failure. That would be very interesting, I think. I agree with you about the color green. A friend of mine say she "loves those putrid green colors" and so do I! :)

hetty said...

And one should never argue with Mother Nature! I love your little quilts and your garden.

Beena said...

I wish I was able to finish even one project this weekend! LOL
But I am glad you are having all this time to devout to your passion after not being able to for quite a while!

meggie said...

Not only, but also. Your garden is beautiful, also the quilts!

Rebel said...

Love those two little quilts... and your garden looks spectacular as usual!

Kim Brackett said...

You've been busy! Love the quilts and your hostas. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I love your gardens! I used to have a small garden with purple balloon flowers, yellow yarrow and orange day lillies - it was just fantastic. Here I have more shade - so have lots of hostas mixed with bleeding hearts - a nice blend.
Great progress on your quilting projects this week.

Anonymous said...

"As far as Iam concerned green is almost a neutral which can be used with anything. Mother Nature showed me that."

Well YOU, Wanda showed us that too !

J~MT