Saturday, July 25, 2009

More student's work...........
Here are a lot of pieces cut from a beige/brown/soft rust combination.
And here are 2 blocks ready to sew. She added the brown batik with horses in it.
This student had a lot of kid prints and added the black background prints as some of the plain (not pieced) sections. The orange dotted fabric was a nice addition too.
More of her design wall. This group of fabric has some soft gold tone light colors and slightly rusty red in with nice browns. This is what they did in the beginning, just cut lots of shapes from a strata. The next step is to start putting pieces together on the design wall to simulate blocks and then to sew the favorites right away. The not quite favorite ones might still get one piece changed out for another.
The fourth student just returned home from vacation in the wee hours so she just visited the class but didn't bring her project. I will get some pictures of hers next week.
I finished cutting all of the Christmas strata and pieced 4 of the blocks together. I'm still contemplating making another strata to make more blocks. I got a little more of the hand sewing done on my batik binding. I took Cathi's advice and changed to a new needle and it is going much better. It is just so hard to throw away a needle that doesn't have a bend in it even if the point isn't as sharp any more. I guess this goes back to the fact that there was usually only one needle or maybe 2 in our household when I was growing up (non-sewing mother) so it was like you kept the same needle forever because there wouldn't be any to take its place. Old habits die hard.

16 comments:

Gene Black said...

ha. I really understand the difficulty throwing a needle away. Mom didn't sew either (guess it skipped a generation) so supplies were limited.

Beena said...

Thanks for spoiling us with more great pics. I especially love the the rust,beige, and brown rendition. Your students must be so pleased with their results. And your Christmas "sample" project is looking great.
I have to change the needle on my machine...thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

Needles were once a precious commodity, you're just carrying on that tradition!!
Teresa

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the brown colors are very interesting. I normally do not use them a lot but I like these combined together.
I do a lot of hand work and I tend to hold on to my needles for a long time before getting rid of them.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

All the combos are so different and unique. It is hard not to like each one of them. I so understand about the needle. I have a difficult time tossing them too, but there comes a time when it is definitely the thing to do.

Anita in Florida said...

Gee, I wish I lived closer to you...would love to take a class...for now I will try to 'experiment' on my own...first the strata...then those curved pieces, if I can figure it out! Thanks for all the great photos.

Susan D said...

What a treat-- seeing all the stratas. I sure wish you were closer-- I'd be in your class for sure. I love the tutorials. Wonderful wonderful colors, I like them all. Keep them coming.....and Thank you.

Bren said...

Boy, I wish I was a student in your class. They all look GREAT and so interesting. Love your Xmas blocks. Have FUN!!!

Fiber Babble said...

The student blocks are all great, each in their own way. Your Christmas blocks have made it to the extreeeemly short list of "Christmas-Themed Quilts That I Actually Like".

As for the needle? I have to remind myself that my straight pins (and not-so-straight pins) can and should be replaced. I figure that if I were to throw out one dull/bent/burred pin every day for a year, it still wouldn't take more than one or two boxes of new pins to replace them (and you know I have at least that many in my pins drawer!!).

Janet said...

Nice variety. Each student's color choices have personality. Love them all.

HMaas said...

Your students must be so proud of what they have accomplished so far and I really like your Christmas version.

goodworks1 said...

Emery cloth. Just a few swipes across it can totally renew a needle point. Send me your mailing address and I'll cut a square off my big sheet and send it to you to try! (Good for buffing out rough spots on the needle plate, too.)

Cathi said...

Your students are so fortunate! What a great class that must be!
Glad the new needle helped!

goodworks1 said...

Actually, it's CROCUS cloth; I had forgotten the name. The square will go out to you in Monday's mail. I think I got it years ago from Clotilde.

Anonymous said...

The 'strata' strips are amazing, especially with the curved cuts.

This pattern is so very different with each set of fabrics. I so enjoy each one of them.



J~MT

The Calico Cat said...

Love the novelty version - I am too frugal with my needles too. I don't get "roundto" changing them... (I should right now, but I am reading blogs!)