Sunday, July 26, 2009

20 blocks, not necessarily the final layout.............
A lot of these fabrics have gold on them so they reflect and don't look as deep toned as they do in person.
I pieced 16 more fabrics into a strata. Here is choice one when adding the two 8 strip sections together, with the light fabrics meeting in the middle. This means that most pieces cut from the strata will be mostly light.
Here is choice 2 with the dark fabrics at the center.
After analyzing what I already had cut from the previous strata, I decided I needed more dark pieces so this is how I sewed them together. The color is more true in the picture above.
After cutting out some pieces I have sections like this left over.
I can then bring the 2 long edges together and sew them together and cut some of my template shapes from it.
This is the advantage of having your strata end with the same value as the beginning. If you start with light and end with dark, you can't join the leftovers into a usable piece.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

This was definitely the way that Louisa taught how to do the strata. It is very valuable information. Love the way your Christmas quilt is coming along.

Janet said...

Great sense of color and combining. Its going to be a wonderful quilt. What to do with the leftovers? I would have a hard time not finding a use for them.

Beena said...

Your twenty blocks look gorgeous!
Hop I remember this info for when I get around to trying this.

Gari in AL said...

Thanks for the hint about how to arrange the strata. I am pretty close to planning a similar quilt, either with curves or maybe only strips. But I am really likeing the multi-colored look.

SandyQuilts said...

WOW

Anonymous said...

Your photos an texts are always so helpful!!! Weren't you the lucky one on the way to the mailbox too!! Gail

Jocelyn said...

So beautiful! I think the gold is so stunning.

Kim Brackett said...

Your blocks are exquisite! You have such a gift for putting fabrics together. Everything you do turns out to be gorgeous!

Cathi said...

These blocks absolutely fascinate me! I love watching you put together these things!

Anonymous said...

It is such fun to watch this piece grow. Fabric choices are exquisite. The curved templates you used, make it look like we all might be able to do it. My search has begun to find those templates.

J~MT

Sharon said...

Your blocks are so gorgeous! And thanks for showing your students' work too. It's fun to see how different the same pattern can look.
Your lilies are so beautiful! And I love that little twig table - how cool that you found it for free!

Mary Johnson said...

I love these blocks -- can't wait to see what you do with the *final* layout.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Wanda. You are so talented.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thanks for another tip that will be so helpful! Your layout looks really nice.