Thursday, March 2, 2023

Working on two............


I finished the two partial blocks from a couple days ago and then made 3 more blocks.  This is the amount of blocks I had in the first scrap Bear Paw quilt but I'm planning on either 20 or 24 for this quilt.

I like to make quilt blocks. Each one has its own decisions and becomes a mini quilt on its own.  Would you believe I still haven't sewn the last batch of Bear Paw blocks from October 2021 together into a top yet?  The fun is over when the blocks are made and final layout is decided.  Next comes the narrow sashing and sewing it all together, the more boring part.  I really love the colors in those blocks.



I cut 2 more groups of the large squares but they still aren't quite what I need so I'll cut some more today.  I also sewed 27 more triangles into squares.  I only needed 16 (if I am making 24 blocks) so I'll have a good variety to choose from.


I needed a change for my sewing last night so I sewed 8 stratas for my Australian fabric 16 patch quilt.  I will get 2 blocks from each strata so this will be the first 16.  I don't usually put borders on my 16 patch quilts but I think I might with this one.  Normally I make either 63 blocks (7x9) or 80 blocks (8x10) for the 16 patch quilts.  I might stop at 48 (6x8) and then add a border on this one.


 

10 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have never made a bear paw quilt. Perhaps I should at least make a few blocks. I can always add them to one of my "wild mishmash" quilts.

patty a. said...

You have made a lot of progress on both these quilts. Sewing blocks is my least favorite part of quilt making. My favorite part is getting the quilt pin based then quilted. Once I get that far I know the quilt will be finished shortly.

Libby in TN said...

Like you, I enjoy the block-making process more than quilt assembly; that's probably why I have so many UFOs! I get bored when the blocks have all the same fabrics in the same places.

Vicki W said...

You do whip up blocks fast. I'd have to say that making blocks is my least favorite part. I like the planning, cutting out and putting the top together. For me, the quilting and binding is a whole separate project. We all have our different ways to motivate ooutselves!

JJM said...

I agree each Bear Paw block is indeed a mini quilt in itself. It is one gorgeous quilt in the works now.

Interesting everyone’s ‘favorite’ stages of quilt making.

JJM

Julierose said...

So looking forward to your Austrailian 16-patch quilt--those fabrics are really so colorful and neat!!
Your Bear Paws are looking so pretty together...I am glad you have fun setting up each block--that is nice to hear.
And today--40 degrees and snow melting...rains predicted this evening so I'll bet it'll all be gone--it was really pretty while it lasted...
hugs (in a brain-fog) Julierose

Florida Farm Girl said...

Did you pull some of those aboriginals from my stash when I wasn't looking? I've got a handful of those fabrics and love them. One of our local quilt shops carries a good selection of aboriginals. They're having their anniversary sale right now and I'm doing my very best to stay away!!

Barbara Anne said...

Wonderful Bear Paw and stellar fabrics!!! Applause, applause!

Don't you love going from project to project without rules, lots of personal choice decisions, and the freedom to use any fabric at hand? Your quilts are one-of-a-kind-on-the-planet and that's as it should be. It's too much fun!

Hugs!

Char said...

Love the colors in the Bear Paw Wanda.

Mystic Quilter said...

I like to have couple of projects on the go at one time, inevitably it turns out that there are more. The Australian fabrics are working so well together and gosh your Bear Paw is going to be huge!