Wednesday, March 15, 2023

20 blocks, 4 more to go................


I wasn't happy with some of last groups I had put together so I only got 5 more blocks sewn last night.  I'll be searching for some more fabrics for the large squares.  I have enough triangles and rectangles cut for 4 more blocks.  I have 3 blocks with blue in them into the mix now and 2 more will have some blue pieces.

When I first started making these blocks I thought maybe I would put sashing between them.  I'm liking them edge to edge but I'll still try a black background Australian print and see what I think.  With the every other block/dark/light edges black is the only thing that will contrast with all of them.

I trimmed the quilt that I quilted on Monday and chose the binding but didn't get the binding cut yet.  Today I need to turn on the iron and press that fabric and all of these blocks.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

I've often been happier with a dark color (green, navy, purple)rather than black when contrasting multi-colors. Even brown, when pushed to it! These look like navy or green might work. Just sayin'....

patty a. said...

Happy searching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

to sash or not to sash - it can be hard deciding at times

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO much to explore in these blocks! I think the narrow sashing is a good idea - the black aboriginal print I have here has some gentle movement in it that keeps it from being flat or dull. I am guessing the one you have is similar.

Julierose said...

Love those dark maroon center ones; you are moving right along with this one...
33 this morning--we got zero snow--just rain --cold now and windy
hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Sashing or not ~ I think sashing would compliment each grand block in this top. With so many unique blocks, each one deserves to stand out.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Sashing always means no points to match, so there is that bonus to consider, and it doesn't have to be very wide ... Something to think about as your press the blocks and the binding fabric.
I need to press binding fabric for a little doll quilt.

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

It's fascinating looking at each individual block and studying the intricacies of the fabric designs. Oh by the way I love the cross hatch quilting on the quilt in your last post.