Thursday, March 23, 2023

Audition day............


I spent way too much time looking for and playing around with the audition of batik fabrics for the Bear Paw quilt borders.  I'll show them in the order that I tried them.  I was looking for pieces long enough (2.25 yards) to cut the borders lengthwise.

I tried this one first as it would be cut crosswise of the fabric.



Then I placed it as it would be if cut lengthwise.












I found a stripe of many colors that could be cut crosswise but it seemed a little dark.

You can click on the photos for a closer view of the choices.




Then I found a busy print batik with a black background.  It has a lot of colors in it.  There is more orange than shows  here.




I think this one looks a little lighter in person, green, gold, and soft orange.


But wait, I have some long leftover strips from backings and I needed to try them.






This one is about the shade of blue I had been searching for.  I like it with the quilt top.





This one isn't bad either, although a little darker than what I had in mind.

I didn't try the other 2 because I decided they weren't the color that I wanted.

15 comments:

Nancy J said...

I like the last photo option the best.

Gene Black said...

I like the one that is "about the shade of blue" that you had in mind.

Judy Cloe said...

I like the stripe of many colors that was your second fabric shown.

patty a. said...

Too many choices! I would have to see them in person in order to make a choice. I admire how many choices you found!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

did you decide which you were going to use? I saw several there that I liked.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the mottled blue. I think the hardest part at times is picking out the border. When I had a LQS, I would drag the top there and figure it out with bolts. Now, I am limited to what I have on hand.

Julierose said...

Lots of choices but for me, 1st blue shade shown is my favorite, altho' the green print batik with the black bkgrnd also looks great--Tough choices..I'll look forward to seeing what you finally come up with--not to mention the other group of fabrics!! Have fun deciding...
46 degrees and fogbound this morning. Everything is very still out there...
hugs, Julierose

Pam said...

It will be interesting to see your choice of border. Personally I like the green, gold, orange one.

JJM said...

I like the last two blues you auditioned, but I know you will choose the perfect one in all you have shown us. And what an amazing variety you have to select from. Each border changes the feeling of the quilt top itself.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What a marvelous variety of fabrics you have to choose from! I like the multi-color stripe, the busy green batik, and the blue in the next to last photo and look forward to seeing which fabric you decide to use.

Hugs!

audrey said...

Your bear paw blocks are so lively looking! Gorgeous colors. It's always fun to me to try and use a fabric with striping and audition it both ways. So much potential and of course it always changes the look of the quilt. Love that you have so many options to play with for the border.

Needled Mom said...

Any of them would look good, but I really like second stripe with the multi colors. Second choice would be the lighter blue.

Chantal said...

I'm not sure if you are seeking opinions but I like the soft green with gold and orange. It doesn't make the quilt look as serious as the other choices. But that's just me thinking out loud. Enjoy the dithering. ;^)

Mystic Quilter said...

Bear Paw quilt is looking good to me with the blue batik which you say is about the shade you had been searching for.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I like that multi-color dark stripe crossways the best.