Friday, March 17, 2023

A little green for St. Patrick's Day............


Before I can hang a finished quilt on the design wall for its portrait I need to use the lint roller.  I don't want a lot of threads on the back of a finished quilt.




I think this is the only quilt with this much green in all of my shelves of quilts.  I love green but haven't made an all green quilt for many years.  This one will have to do for the Irish celebration.  It is 50" x 70",  Kaffe collective and Martha Negley fabrics in the top, quilted in a wavy crosshatch with yellow variegated YLI cotton thread on top and Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin.  The batting is Warm and Plush.


I love the Martha Negley tree rings fabric on the back, the green colorway.














The binding is a Kaffe fabric in yellow, machine sewn.







This photo has 2 things to look at, the possible final layout and a mock up in the top left corner with a black print Australian fabric cut 1" wide to simulate narrow sashing.  By now you probably know I like busy quilts that make you keep looking at all of the details.  I think the sashing would emphasize each individual block but I personally would lose the excitement of looking all around the quilt looking at placement and overall design.  I think both ways would work, sashing or not; I just have to make a decision what makes me happy.  Another thing, the secondary pattern where 4 blocks meet will be tightened up when the blocks' outside seam allowances are taken and will become an integral part of the overall design.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Sashing certainly isn't necessary for this one! The contrast is great so the blocks don't all mush together visually and the secondary design keeps you looking for all the details. Beautiful!

cityquilter grace said...

double wow...both gorgeous and yes, very busy and colorful!

Julierose said...

Lovely green and MN tree ring print!! I love busy quilts, too!!
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you;0)
41 here this morning--I see bugs swarming outside my window--can spring be far behind? Hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

Another finish with the yellow and green quilt. I do like that tree ring fabric you used for the backing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't think I would care for sashing on that one - the corners will join up nicely I think for a good look. I think the lint roller will need to come out here on my wall too when I get the current quilt top done

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lint rollers rock! (clothes, design walls, ironing surfaces, and more). I don't think the sashing adds anything to the party - I like the layout sans sashing. I love the finished quilt (tree rings included) - and I'm all for machine sewn bindings (only kind I can do these days thanks to my cranky thumb joint).

JJM said...

Yellow/Green is supreme ! Pattern and fabrics are so refreshing and my oh my the backing couldn’t be any better. It’s a ‘spring’ beauty.

I love the sashing on Australian top. Thanks for showing it….. although, from reading all of the comments it sounds like I’m in the minority.

JJM

helenreimers said...

Yellow and green for St. Paddy's Day, perfect.

Barbara Anne said...

No rules, no quilt police, so feel free to make the Aussie fabric quilt however it suits you!
Love your green Rail Fence quilt, too.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hugs!

Vicki W said...

Your green and yellow quilt is lovely!