Friday, November 18, 2022

Sorting the stripes...............


This is the original fabric selection that I had put aside for the quilt in the book.  I decided I needed to pull out some of the wider stripes with red in them.




This is the updated group that is more similar to the one in the book but now I'm wondering if it is too perfectly matched and boring.  The three I pulled out are laying on the book.



I need to get the stripes off my work table so next I pulled 24 possible stripes for a 16 patch, "the other 16 patch" made with rectangles instead of squares.  I'm second guessing myself here too wondering if the variety from light to dark is too drastic.


This is my pile of shot cottons (one color one way, another color woven the other direction) that I will pair with the stripes.






This is a preliminary pairing.  I realize I don't have any medium or dark green shot cottons or any true blue.  At one time I bought a quarter yard pack of mostly reds, oranges, and shades of brown.  I'll probably pull some of the lightest solids and use another color twice.  Between the 2 quilts I have 60 fabrics to press before cutting.  12 of them will need two or three 6.5" strips, the rest are all one 2.5" strip per fabric.  I think I need to figure out one more shape to cut at the same time from those 48 pieces.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

What lovely pairings of shots and stripes...delicious saturated colors in there.
Only 32 degrees this morning--"frost is on the pumpkin" now; i hear upper 'NY is expected to get huge amounts of lake effect snow today--Hello Winter!!
hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

What a wonderful group of striped fabrics and shot cottons! I am looking forward to seeing a couple of fabulous stripey quilts! I have a stripey log cabin quilt I want to make. I pulled what stripes I had and my stash was pathetic! LOL!!

Nann said...

I like the wonky unevenness of the array as you have them in the photo (though I know you'll cut even-sized pieces). Lovely colors.

sue s said...

I really like how you've gotten away from the original. Lots of nice colors that will look great together. I guess I do wonder about the really bright lime though...could be just me.

Mystic Quilter said...

Kaffe has an amazing colour range in both his shot cottons and stripes so there's a lot of choice there. The red stripes set aside initially for the quilt in the book did stand out rather in the mix. Your pairings in the last photo are stunning!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a fun qrouping! This will be a really pretty one. Again! I saved the pic of the pinwheels you posted in IG. I need to make one.

JJM said...

What a dazzling array of fabrics…. I had never heard of “shot cottons” until you mentioned them in an earlier post, and again today with an explanation. I was able to enlarge and actually see the two colors woven together. The close up looks like it may have a linen texture to it ???

Grand colorful post again today Wanda and so full of information.

JJM

P.S. -8 below this morning and it got as high as 17 degrees today

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, that group in the last photo just sings!