Saturday, November 12, 2022

A finish for November...........


A few sessions throughout the day and the hand stitching on the binding was finished.  I was surprised!  I thought it would take longer. The batik I used for binding wasn't one of the tough ones to stitch through.  I will probably try for a better photo downstairs soon.


The backing I originally chose was a moss green with burgundy and muted gold.  I decided I needed to use the prettier blue one instead.

This one is 55.5" x 71" after finishing the binding.






I pressed the Kaffe stripe quilt top too.  I'm so glad I stuck with it this time and didn't put those cut pieces back in a drawer.  This top is 48.5" x 65".










I took one last photo of the porch pots before the temperature went down to the mid 20s last night.  Then I moved the 4 pots with Begonias into the garage.  I also put the 2 black pots hanging on the porch railing in the garage.  They have calibrachoa in them.  I'll enjoy the blooms in the garage for a couple weeks and then probably toss them.




Here are 3 of the bloomers by my east picture window.  The other one in bloom is by the west picture window.

 

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

some batiks are very tough to hand stitch through. I think the toughest fabric I hand stitched though was one time some hand died fabric that was given to me - I don't know what kind of fabric she used to hand die but I made sure to put it aside as it was not good for hand quilting.
Both of these quilts and all the plants are so pretty

Julierose said...

Your quilts are looking so lovely!! Nice that the binding was easy to sew on through those batiks ;)))
Your Cacti are so pretty in bloom on your table...
We didn't get a lot of rain and just a little bit of wind from the storm--altho' the skies are still overcast this morning. 64 degrees at 8:30 a.m.--strange for November here. I guess tonight the temps are going to drop back down... hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

16 Patch is so full of glorious fabrics that it needed a glorious backing, and you sure selected the perfect one.

Stripes has such grand tailored detail, I love it.

Unbelievable to see your porch flowers still blooming, when we are covered with snow. But it warmed up a bit this morning it was 9 degrees.

JJM

Kristin said...

Both quilts look fabulous, as all your quilts do!!

MissPat said...

Your 16-patch finish reminds me that I have a 16-patch I started last fall (I think) that has fallen by the wayside. I need to pull it out. I think it may also need some pops of brighter and lighter colors to liven it up. We got 2.5" of rain yesterday from the remnants of Nicole.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a rich, jewel like finish. I moved 3 fancy leaf geraniums in the garage today so I can clean them up and bring them inside. Glad you did not put away the strip blocks either.

Vicki W said...

The quilt turned out really nice and I love the Kaffe one. That came together really fast.

patty a. said...

Congratulations on a finish for November! The striped top turned out great. You ought to quilt it and just get it done. I know that fabric would easy to hand sew thru for the binding.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful finish, quilt top, and flowers, Wanda!