Saturday, November 5, 2022

Sewed some blocks............


I made the decision to sew the blocks with 4 matching outside strips instead of the other version I showed yesterday.  I have 15 blocks sewn and 7 more to sew.  I could make 2 blocks with some unmatched miscellaneous left over triangles.  I can see that I didn't have a very big selection of colors when I started making these blocks many years ago.  It would be a pretty small quilt with just these blocks so I need to decide what other stripes to add.  I also need to decide if I'm adding any more colors like yellow and green or just keeping it orange/red/purple/blue.


My red shaggy center Coneflower has made good progress since I planted it.  I had it in a pot for almost 3 months before it went into the ground.  With all of the new growth on the plant this year I am really hopeful that it will survive the winter.





I read this year that it is really important to deep water the plant frequently after planting so the roots can get established and spread out.  That is my mistake in previous years when I gave them only occasional watering.


The flowers start out yellow and then turn to orange and finally red.  I have spread some of its seeds in several places hoping for a couple more plants next year.  We got some rain yesterday and more overnight.  More above average days are ahead too so more buds have a chance to open.



If you are a daily reader you might be wondering what I decided on this quilt.  If you don't know what I'm talking about go back to this post.

Rebecca's comment 

"Inspiration is not the same meaning as duplication..." hit the nail on the head.  I wasn't trying to duplicate the quilt exactly, only using it for inspiration.  Since my fabrics are wild and lively compared to the antique fabrics it would never look like a duplication anyway.  I have decided to just do my own thing with the layout.  I need to make about 30 more triangle strip sets and then design and sew.

6 comments:

Libby in TN said...

The mere fact you thought about the triangle squares shows that you care.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a very interesting looking quilt on your wall right now - I love those colors

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the inspiration quote, have to remember that. Going to plant some potted perennials today that I have been babying all season. Have to put up rabbit fencing first.

Vicki W said...

Love Rebecca's comment and also the blocks from the stripe fabrics.

Julierose said...

Your cone flowers are so pretty--loving their shaggy heads' look.
and triangles will be so neat --coming together well with your brighter fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm liking your design for the KF stripe fabrics and good for you continuing on with your HSTs in your own way!