Friday, June 10, 2022

Faux woven top.......................


The pattern I used for inspiration is Treat Strip Jr-Interweave which is on the Timeless Treasures website.  It is a small quilt done with 20 strips (Jr package).  It has you cutting 10" off each strip to save for side borders so I didn't do that because I wanted a larger quilt.

I am using batiks which don't have big white selvages so there is usually 44" width of fabric.  Also I didn't use pre-cut packages, I had cut all of the 2.5" strips over a span of 20 years.  I used 56 strips for a quilt top 56" x 75", a nice size throw quilt.

Each column is one strip each of 2 fabrics.  I cut 20" off each strip and used the remainder for the squares.  I ended up with 18 squares for each column (9 of each of 2 fabrics).  Instead of cutting individual squares I pieced the 2 remainder strips together and cut 2.5" segments and sewed them end to end. The only problem with that was striped fabric (look at 4th column from the left).  With all of the muted colors I was using I didn't think it was a big problem.


Most of these fabrics are not pretty; they are muted grayed fabrics and they all work so well together.  A few strips in the top were a little brighter and clearer to give it a little spark.







I think it would look great in a room with all neutral colors.

There are some fabrics that are almost solid, some small patterns and some large patterns.













In hindsight I think I could have cut 17" off the end of each strip and that would have allowed another 2 squares for the center to elongate the center a little more.

 


10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great I think.

Barb said...

Thank you! I love this top and was hoping you would explain how you constructed it. I am unable to post a comment here other than as anonymous as all other choices are grayed out.

Julierose said...

Looks so great!! Nice work with all those strips and squares...very calm piece...hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

So lovely! ❤️ Liz in Houston

patty a. said...

thanks for the explanation on how you put this together. I didn't noticed the striped fabric until you pointed it out and it looks fine.

JJM said...

Wanda ~ You created this for YOUR ‘Timeless Treasure’ ~ I’m repeating again, I love this quilt top.

JJM

Kristin said...

I love your faux woven top. Have never seen this pattern.

Penny Schine Gold said...

Thanks so much for explaining how this is put together--easier than I imagined! I also downloaded the free pdf from Timeless Treasure. I may try this with my ample supply of my own hand-dyed fabrics, though I'm not sure how it will look with basically solid fabrics. No harm in trying!

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing the tips on measurement, I have an idea for using a jelly roll purchased a couple of weeks ago, they sell here for around $80 but I was able to buy at a reduced price - thank goodness - especially as they're Kaffe fabrics! I see your point in possibly reducing the length of the long strips, I might try that.

Christine said...

O wow!!! Love that layout.