Tuesday, January 7, 2020

My favorite quilts 2015, 16, 17 and 18...........................

There were several favorite small wallhangings but I'll concentrate on the larger quilts for this favorites tour.  

I have a huge selection of striped fabric so I decided to use a big variety of them as sashing with Kaffe Fassett prints in this favorite quilt of 2015.  One of my favorite Martha Negley prints is the border fabric, tree rings.
My first X and + quilt was made in 2015.  I used both light and dark backgrounds and just kept making blocks until I had more than enough to make this quilt.  I played for days at the design wall and eliminated the blocks that weren't working.  I love the riot of color in this one.




I have never been able to get a good photograph of this favorite large wallhanging.  This one hangs in my living room.  It is called Many Moons.  The blue around it is my grayed lavender living room walls so you can see how far off the color is.

This one from 2016 is the size of a baby quilt or could be a wallhanging.  I had a plan to cut up a bunch of batiks that I didn't like very well into squares and triangles.  Since I love star quilt, my plan was to put the triangle squares and large squares on the design wall and see what happened.  It was a surprise when the stars started joining in a diagonal pattern.  I loved the top so much I didn't quilt it for years for fear it would leave my house.
This 2016 favorite was a surprise.  I had made the stars as my nightly sewing, all scraps, and no quilt in mind.  One day I was looking through my stacks of blocks and realized the Kaffe fabric 16 patches were the same size as the star blocks.  I'm sure the quantity of red plus stars is the reason I love this one so much.
The last one from 2016 is my Marcia Derse fabric tall triangles quilt.  I love Marcia's fabrics and I love triangles so it's easy to see why I love this one.












2017, a year of so many favorites but this one is at the top of the list.  The plaids are all shirting weight and some of them are the Roberta Horton yarn dyed wovens from the 1990s.  Others are from yardage purchased over a period of 40 years.  The blocks were cut with my 7" Drunkard's Path acrylic templates.  I know 2 people who would love to own this one.
2017 was the year I finally cut into all of my indigo Dutch Wax fabrics.  I made it modular style which is explained on my blog, click on Modular quilt tutorial on my Label List.







This is my favorite 2017 colorwash made with 1.5" x 3" rectangles.  I love the irregular shaped light center.














I'm sorry but there is a fourth favorite from 2017.  I like this one for many reasons, the Marcia Derse background and border fabrics, the Kaffe Fassett yarn dyed stripes for the sashing and the large prints, some of them from 30 years ago.  It's all about the fabric for me.  The block design came from a Kathy Doughty book.

2018 was a year of mostly wallhangings but this one is a larger quilt.  I used the last piece of a lot of the African fabrics in this quilt so it can never be reproduced exactly.  This is my third half hexagon quilt and my favorite of the 3.






2018 was the introduction of a new style quilt called Colorburst, not a blend like Colorwash but contrasting colors touching.  










I created my first larger Kaffe Fassett fabric colorwash in 2018.  It has a lot of his early out of print fabrics in it and I really like it.


2019 has already been published on my blog on January 3.  Click here to see it.  My favorites for 2019 are ones I am keeping whereas a lot of the favorites from previous years have been sold or gifted to special people.  I tend to want to hold onto the newest ones for awhile and after I have made some new favorites I can sometimes part with an older favorite.

15 comments:

diane said...

I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to part with your favorite quilts. The Dutch Modular quilt is quite striking. Don't remember seeing that one before.

Julierose said...

All so lovely--really beautiful works hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many beautiful quilts, Wanda!! I can see why these are some of your favorites.

Lorie Kunstmann said...

You blow me away! Thanks for sharing, Wanda.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Good morning Wanda. I just finished going through all the beautiful and interesting quilts in today's post, and must have spent about 6 or 7 minutes studying the Dutch Wax fabrics one. It's such an interesting quilt, and I just had to keep going over and over it, taking in all those wonderful fabrics. Thanks so much for taking the time to share all your favorites from the past 10 years. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and admiring them all. Enjoy your day.

Marnie Haines said...

What a fabulous treat to see once again all of these quilts. Thank you!

patty a. said...

Another wonderful post with all those favorites! It is definitely hard to part with a favorite.

JJM said...

Again another fabulous show today ! As I said yesterday "standing ovation" to you ! The past two days have been true works of art.

JJM

Linda Swanekamp said...

Truly a magical quilt show today. Can't pick my favorite.

Ruth said...

Beautiful quilts! Where did you find the Dutch indigo fabric?

Tami Von Zalez said...

I so remember when you first posted that African half hexi - I thought, "OMG!"

So here is a question for you, "Have you ever created a low volume or pastel quilt?"

Jane Dallmeyer said...

Wanda. Thanks a bunch for sharing these beautiful quilts!! I have looked at each collection 3 times!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I don't know how you are able to choose favorites! They are ALL beautiful! - ;))

Deb E said...

I certainly understand why you want to keep every one! Those are spectacular, and thank you for explaining why with each one (although I could see at a glance why)....each is absolutely beautiful and so very unusual in different ways, too. Deb E / CA

Mystic Quilter said...

What a sensational post full of colour today!!! Love them all but especially the X and + quilt and also your fourth favourite the one from the Kathy Doughty book, I began cutting out for this just after I bought the book but then decided I didn't like my fabric choices and that was as far as I went! I shouldn't want to part with any of these quilts!