Monday, January 6, 2020

My favorite quilts 2010 - 2014

I will pick 3 favorites from each year and starting with 2010 this is my strip pieced Kaleidoscope with all floral small prints.  I need to take a new photo with my better camera some day since the photos in 2010 are from 2 cameras ago.  I used to make a lot of strip pieced Kaleidoscope quilts because I needed to start a new one each time I taught the class.  This one was my favorite.
My next favorite from 2010 is a wallhanging, all plaids and stripes inspired by the cover quilt on "Radiant New York Beauties" by Valori Wells.  I printed the paper piecing templates in the book and made a bunch of arcs.  Then I played with the arrangement until I liked it and finished it.  A close friend owns this one.
The third favorite from 2010 is the Kaffe Fassett fabric Trip Around the World quilt that is in my yellow guest bedroom.  This photo was taken before I put the binding on.  It is the same fabric as the narrow border.







In 2011 I designed my H quilt inspired by the S quilt in a Kaffe Fassett book.  It is almost all Kaffe Fassett fabrics with just a couple batiks thrown into the mix.  I needed a few more blocks and decided to add stars.  I call it "H: I give it 5 stars".  There is a tutorial on my blog for making the H blocks.
My crosses quilt is inspired by another quilt in a Kaffe Fassett book.  I have a tutorial for this quilt on my blog too.  I used all scraps for this one and a friend owns this one.  The quilts with the most fabric choices in them are always favorites.


This was the second Crooked Cobblestone quilt that I designed and the first one to be finished.  As much as I loved it, I can't keep them all and I sold this one in one of my pop-up shops.  This was one of a series of about 12 wallhangings.  I still have a bag with about 150 blocks in it so there may be another one in the future.
2012 was a memorable year for lots of good things including my solo quilt show at a gallery in NC.  I finished 26 quilts that year so it was hard to choose just 3.  This colorwash has always been my favorite.  This was early in my series of batik colorwashes. I sold it so I only have a photo to go back and revisit it.  

Sparkling Stars....oh how I struggled to come up with a working order of the blocks.  This is about 2/3 of the blocks I made and when I finally removed the ones that weren't working, I ended up with this.  I love the vibrancy and of course I LOVE triangles and stars.  Lynne Tyler of The Patchery Menagerie blog bought this one from my solo show 2012.

This wallhanging was also in the solo show in NC and I'm so happy it didn't sell because it was so underpriced for the amount of work in it.  Click on this for a larger view for the amount of quilting in it.  I matched thread to each strip and there are several rows of stitching in each strip.  Most strips are in the 1/4" to 1" width range.  I probably have 40 hours of quilting in it.

2013 is the year I made my second large bright colorwash with regular printed quilting cottons.  This one has so many wonderful fabrics in it












My next 2013 favorite was made with the Strips 'n Curve templates by Louisa L. Smith.  I had made many quilts with template sets A and B but never with Kaffe Fassett fabric before this one.  I think I need to do another larger one with his fabric.


2013 was the year I started a series of 16 patch quilts during the time of my 99 year old dad's failing health.  They were easy to sew, not a lot of thinking, but I put a lot of thought into the colors in each.  This one is called "Peony Garden" and I absolutely love this one.

In 2014 two of my favorites are flannel quilts.  This one is a paper pieced pattern by Karen K. Stone called Rattlesnake.  I named mine Bear Trap because that is what I think it looks like.  I had to add 3 crazy pieced blocks in there because the trimmings were stacking up and calling my name.

This is the other favorite flannel quilt.  It is a pattern called Windy City in an old Sally Schneider book, "Scrap Happy".  I have made this pattern at least twice before and one of those 2 was flannel too.  I love scrappy flannel quilts with lots of bright colors scattered through.
The last 2014 favorite is a "Fractured" quilt, inspiration by Kathy Doughty.  It doesn't follow her layout since I left out the center rows in this one.  This was my second quilt of this quilt block.  If you want to see more about the Fractured quilts, that is a label in my Label List on the right sidebar of my blog.

Occasionally someone will comment on the quilt of the day on my blog and say "This quilt doesn't look like your style".  Really?  I'm not sure what my "style" is.  I think I work in all types of fabric and lots of different styles.  The 2 consistent things are that they are all pieced (as opposed to applique) and that I use LOTS of different fabrics in every quilt.  Comments welcome.

More favorites from a decade tomorrow.........

20 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

WOW - what a wonderful selection of beautiful quilts you've made in those years. My top 3 favourites would have to be (from top to bottom) #2 R.N.Y.B. - I love all the swirls, colours and pointy pieces. #11 Strips n' Curve - love those fabric combinations and colours. #15 I've always wanted to try this 'jagged' method of block making and a good way to use up some scraps, although I'm sure you carefully chose the fabrics to use :)

Vicki W said...

Loved looking back and remembering some of these as my favorites too! I need to make that crosses quilt.

donaleen said...

Very fun

Nancy said...

I love to look at two sites on the computer each morning....yours is one of them. Thanks for posting. I am so (too) traditional, but love to look at the wild and crazy quilts you make. I may be loosening up....a bit. The first quilt you posted is stunning, The others are wonderful as well. Keep up the good work. You brighten my day.
Nancy Parisi
gnparisi@comcast.net

patty a. said...

Thanks for posting your favorites! You have made so many wonderful quilts over the years. I might have to do a post myself of my favorite quilts if I can find the time. That cross quilt would be a good way for me to use up some of my scraps!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really love the one inspired by New York Beauties - I have that book I believe but have never made a quilt from it and always say I must do so

Jean said...

I've only just begun following you so am very pleased to see your earlier favourites! Beautiful. I'm a scrappy quilter myself so really appreciate the wide range of fabrics. Thanks so much for the inspiration and Happy New Year.

Chris said...

I love this "best of" quilt show! It's like one of your fantastic trunk shows on my computer! I think I'm like you Wanda, I love many style/colors/fabrics. Variety is the spice of life! Happy quilting, all the best for 2020!

scrapbagfran@gmail.com said...

I LOVE looking at all of your favorites. What I love even more is your commentary as to WHY you have picked them as favorites. Crooked Cobblestones is my personal favorite. I hope that if you ever decide to make another one it's soon. I so enjoy watching your work unfold.

JustGail said...

I'd add using lots of color to your style. Not necessarily as in lots of different colors in one quilt, but rather that you use bold colors. I'm not sure if I've ever seen you do an all pastel quilt.

Needled Mom said...

It's so much fun to see these again. One of my all time favorites was your H quilt.

Roxanne said...

Oh my, this is such fun! I thought the same as Vicki—I need to make that crosses quilt using my new bigger design board and the African strips I recently cut. You have been such an inspiration to my quilting, Wanda. I have my favorite quilt of yours in mind, from late 2014 I think. Will have to see if it makes your list. ;)

Tami Von Zalez said...

Thank you Wanda for showing us part of your favorites!
Here is the link where I give you a shout out
https://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2020/01/just-when-you-think-all-is-lost.html
I have that Scrap Happy book. So glad I pick these books up thrift so when I need them for reference I already have them.

Marnie Haines said...

What a wonderful retrospective of your work! I'm so glad that someone asked to see more of your favorites.
Exuberantcolor is such an appropriate name for your blog. You can easily add "quilted with excellence".
We're so fortunate that you blog daily. Thank you!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, that is an awful lot of eye candy to process today. All so beautiful, different,and powerful.

JJM said...

Oh Wanda ~ what an "EXUBERANT " QUILT SHOW ! Standing ovation to you... Each and every one is a treasure and I so enjoyed reading your dialogue on all. Looking forward to tomorrow's show.

JJM

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I think I love every quilt you've made, and I've been "watching" you make them for about eleven years now. Thanks for the retrospective!

Darlene B said...

These are beautiful, Wanda! I have several of these on my very long bucket list. Seeing these pictures is so inspiring. I read your blog every day, but rarely comment. Your work is absolutely wonderful.

Charlotta said...

All so beautiful! Thank you for taking time to do this retrospective! It’s very enjoyable!

Millie said...

I love my quilt and it still hangs in my living room where I get to enjoy it every day.

Lynne