Monday, April 27, 2009

Voting results, and scanned pictures
I was looking through an old notebook with lots of pictures of colorwash pieces that I made. This one says 2002 on the back. I sold it through the IL Artisan's Gallery that year. I am disappointed in the scans, but then the more I look at them, I remember red is one of the hardest colors to photograph.
I will admit that this next photo is not great quality to start out with. I always liked this piece and was sad to see it go.
Now, the results from the voting for my setting triangles. Blue was an overwhelming favorite with 45 votes, rose got 7 votes, and 7 people also liked them both together like they were in the first photo. 5 people were non-committal but helpful in their comments.


The reason I chose the rosy fabric in the first place (which has gold and green in it) was so that it would blend into the edge blocks which were mostly warm beige, yellow or gold. I tend to want to blend things automatically and have to tell myself to back off sometimes. I tend to like warm colors better than cool ones also.

I knew I would try blue or green because they were both used in the blocks but I didn't expect to like the blue and was surprised. I really enjoyed the comments when you told me what you saw when you looked at the choices. I think the blue looks more like a border than the rose. I'm not sure if I want it to look like a border, or just a smooth transition to the outside edge of the quilt.

Some said my choices were too dark, one said they were too light. I'm glad we aren't all alike and that I got many different opinions. It is fun to look at the choices with new eyes.

Did you know that blue is THE most popular color? When I was first a fabric buyer for a store the salesmen all told me if you don't know which color to pick, always choose blue because it is the best seller. I wear a lot of blue because it makes me look healthy but I don't have any blue rooms in my house, nor any blue furniture. I've never had a blue car either.

I'll look at it some more today, and maybe I'll go ahead and cut some triangles. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

18 comments:

Beena said...

I like your watercolor quilt! And how fun, to have so many people to vote on which fabric to use and to get all that input!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I was behind and didn't vote - but blue was my choice, too. Interesting that it is the #1 color...

LOVE the violets in your previous post- I used to cry when my dad called them weeds and dug them out (I protect the few I have now)

Lucky you to have a rabbit that visits -

Cathi said...

That colourwash qult is gorgeous -- love the effect.
I absolutely believe blue is the most popular colour! When I was picking out colours for a quilt and had most of my fabrics that read as a solid out I realized just how much blue I had. There's way more of that in my stash than there is of anything else.
Funny thing is I knew that but when we went to our Creativ Festival, I found myself drawn to the blues. I have to make a conscious decision to not buy blue!

ilovebabyquilts said...

I love poppies! My favorite flower. I didn't know red was the hardest color to photograph. That explains why I couldn't photograph the black and red T-square quilt I made! The camera got really freaked out by the red next to black.

Susan said...

What an amazing choice of inner border fabric in this colorwash quilt! The movement evokes breezes blowing the flowers around. I love it!

Diana said...

I took a poll of favorite colors in my classroom in order to make a graph. Out of 15 students, 14 chose blue, 2 chose pink, and 2 chose green. Blue rules! (It's my favorite color, too.)

Diana said...

My bad typing!! The students voted 11 blue, 2 pink, and 2 green. Sorry about that.

Unknown said...

Funny, I am not a blue person either. No blue, like you in my home or car, etc. But, as I said yesterday, I liked the blue in the quilt. Funny. I can see your reasoning for choosing the rosy though and it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

My oh my... Your piece you sold at the Artisan's Gallery is a true work of ART ! I can see why you wished you had kept it.

Make that 46 votes for blue (*._,*)
I did not vote when I was doing my catch up on all your posts, the other day.

And I love love love denim blue. Blue is my favorite color, and every room in my house has touches of blue or a lot of blue. But always a white vehicle.

J~MT

TB said...

I understand why you were sad to see this one go; I like it, too. I love the bold red of the flowers.

Gari in AL said...

I like blue but have only made one quilt that had blue as a main color. And, except for jeans, rarely wear blue. I keep wanting to make a blue quilted jacket but each time I start it turns into a different color.

Marilyn said...

I miss a day reading your blog and I get behind! I like the blue--because-it brings out the squares that travel down the quilt. But the rosy one I really could see YOU using. It wants to blend in and not be noticed. Hey, I saw a cotton tail bunny in my yard this afternoon. AND we have lots of hummingbirds this year. I did my research and they are Ruby-throated ones.

Jean said...

The colorwash quilt is beautiful, I don't think the colors ever totally come out perfectly, though with digital cameras, they come close. Will be watching to see what the baskets look like when you get those triangles sewn in.

BTW... would faint dead away if I ever had that many comments to one of my posts!

Sharon said...

I love your quilt today. Those flowers look just like the English daisies in my yard!

Wanda said...

The quilt is incredible. I understand how you have to let them go but...a piece of you must go with every one of them. Wow...I can't get it out of my mind!

Fiber Babble said...

I love the watercolor + applique quilt!

I have a Trip Around the World that's been refusing to live up to its full potential. I am planning to do the large-scale applique on the quilt, but I'm stymied when it comes to choosing the applique color(s). I'm hoping that one day inspiration will strike. It's so difficult to be patient...

And I'm with the 'blue' crew but that didn't surprise me. Blue will win out over alternatives most every time. Though when you explained the blend vs. non, the rosy color made perfect sense (coming from you!). My sofa's main color is blue (navy), but that's it for the whole house. I think.

Lynda said...

I didn't manage to comment before, but I too like the blue. It brings out all the blue in the quilt, while the rose didn't seem to. Interesting about blue being a best seller - I often choose royal blue for a border for a scrap or Linus quilt as it nearly always seems to work.

Elaine said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!