Friday, August 6, 2021

This and that...............


I didn't buy this hard cover book when it first came out but then I saw it on sale with free shipping and got it.  I read a little in it each day.  His newest book is coming soon, the English Village setting.  It is supposed to arrive August 12 and I did pre-order that one.






I picked a little bouquet to put in a jar on the kitchen windowsill.  My Zinnias are all tall with small flowers and are growing between the tomato plants.  I can see them from my studio window and they have Monarch butterflies, Yellow Swallowtail butterflies and a few other flying insects visiting them all day.  I even saw a Hummingbird there a couple days ago.




The blooms on my new Hydrangea bush are turning pink.  They are supposed to be a deep raspberry pink when fully turned.








I planted this perennial Dianthus on the left side of my front porch.  I have had good luck with the annual Dianthus coming up year after year but thought I would try the perennial this time.  It didn't have any flowers when I planted it so I was happy to see it in full bloom yesterday.

I have someone coming today to see about removing my neighbor's tree from my property.  I hope he can do the job.  He is a family friend and has done some tree work for me before.  

9 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

Your flowers are putting out such a good display, especially after all the HOT weather recently. My Hydrangea's are a darker pink and doing well. I think you have to put lime in the soil to make them blue? Something I read somewhere on-line.
Seeing your Kaffe book reminded me of a hard cover I bought from a charity shop about 2 years ago for £1/$1.40 - *SIMPLE SHAPES - SPECTACULAR QUILTS* 2010. Inside listed at £22.50/$35 so a great bargain :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such loveliness from your yard!

MissPat said...

Sad that the neighbor has made no effort to assist with the tree removal, but at least you'll be able to supervise the work and perhaps protect the plants below. It's remarkable how well your new plants are doing. Makes it worth all that hard work.
Pat

JustGail said...

I planted some zinnias in my garden this year, I think I'll do that every year. So nice to have something pretty to look at while weeding there.

I hope the tree can be gotten off your flower bed with minimal damage. While not legally required to get it off your property (as many found out after the derecho a year ago), it would have been polite to do so. A few big branches landed in our neighbor's yard last year, and DH did remove them, as they had their hands full with house, silo, and crop damage to attend to. It might be to your advantage to remove it - your workers might be far more careful than ones hired by the neighbor.

JJM said...

Oh Wanda ~ I agree with Miss Pat and Just Gail about the neighbors tree. Easy for me to say, but would send him the bill too.

Kaffe book and photographed florals make for a lovely post today. I didn’t know he even published books of his fabrics. But I’m not a quilter either. I only know of him through your blog. I love fabrics and his books would give me the ‘fabric fix’ I need every now and then.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

Such pretty flower photos -- I need to pick a few of our black eyed Susans for in the house (they are just outside our sunroom window). I have that book on my Kindle - I didn't want to spend full price for the physical book. Good luck with the tree problem(s).

Julierose said...

Just lovely colors on your hydrangea--mine turn a brown-ey pinkish color as they mature--so pretty...hugs, julierose

Nann said...

I enjoyed Kaffe's studio tour very much. My copy of Quilts in an English Village arrived earlier this week. I read it yesterday. The quilts are great but it's the setting that's really intriguing. The half-timbered houses are centuries old, so old that they've gone intriguingly wonky. And colorful! (Or is that colourful?)

Mystic Quilter said...

I've been enjoying reading the new KF book, like yourself just a little at one time, pretty expensive over here but well worth it, I do like to have actual books rather than read on my iPad, nothing quite like the smell of the new pages and turning them one by one to see the next surprise.