Friday, August 20, 2021

More outdoors..........


I cut 12 more blocks but did my sewing after I wrote my post so I'll show them tomorrow.

I had enough Canna bulbs to plant in 2 pots and this one on the front driveway is doing great.  I rarely get flowers on them because I don't get them planted early enough.









Here's an 8 p.m photo. Whatever was breaking off the leaves on this one in the backyard finally left it alone and it has gotten a lot taller.  











There was another new Marigold and it is quite orange so my question yesterday whether they would all be yellow has been answered.  I love the ruffly petals on this one.




Here is a small view of the Zinnias and Marigolds in the tomato jungle.  The Zinnias are actually laying on the ground as they reach for the light at the front of the raised bed and then they curve up and grow tall.  I put all new MiracleGro vegetable garden soil in the raised bed and the tomato plants are doing so much better than the last 2 years.


I forgot to go out and check on the Four o'clocks late in the afternoon so here is an 8 p.m. photo of one of the ones I dug up and put in a pot.  The ones in the ground aren't quite ready to bloom yet.

 

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Cannas are so pretty--our neighbor across the street has good luck with his...he gave me two bulbs, but they didn't take at all...;000
Hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

It has to be so fun walking around your yard and checking out how everything is growing. Love the color of the 4 o'clock.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like the frilly marigold.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The four oclocks I have are taking over. I don't have such a lovely color as yours. It is amazing how much fertilizer can do. Everything looks lush around you.

MissPat said...

Years ago a neighbor left some canna tubers in my driveway (the way gardeners often leave zucchini on your porch) and I tried to grow them for two years, but the deer or woodchucks or something kept pulling them out of the ground before they could root. I never thought to try them in pots. Maybe next year. I have a few marigolds that self-seeded but didn't plant any this year. That frilly one is cute.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

We grew Cannas when we lived in Indiana. Not here - at least not so far anyway. Good idea to keep them in pots (I am a big fan of planting in pots). Love that frilly marigold.

Cathi said...

That marigold with the ruffled edge is gorgeous!

Anne Ibach said...

I used to have canas when I lived in Salt lake and was never successful in keeping the bulbs healthy over winter. I tried several times to dig them up and store them in the basement, but they ended up rotting. But boy, were they beautiful when they were initially planted.