Thursday, June 25, 2020

Waves and net.........


I loved all of the comments and votes yesterday for my layout.  One that I hadn't considered was running the rows horizontally so they would look like waves.  I decided to change the top and right triangular section to waves and leave the rest as net on the beach to see if that would work.  I think I would have to run all of the fabric rows horizontally where I have them all vertical now.  I think that might be fun to try but I ran out of time yesterday.  I'm working on a pop-up shop and that means hours of finding photos, taking more detail shots and writing descriptions.

A friend who lives a couple towns over emailed me to see if I would be interested in some starter for Amish Friendship bread.  I hadn't made any in years and was very interested.  She brought me 2 cups of the starter so I could go ahead and bake with the first cup and then squeeze and feed the remaining cup for 10 days.  I baked the first batch last night.  If you don't know what the Amish Friendship bread is just search the internet and you will find more than enough info on it.  My directions say to butter the pans and then spread cinnamon and sugar on the buttered pan.  Some of the others I found said to just spray the pans with cooking spray.  According to one site there is a whopping 223 calories per slice.........


16 comments:

Dorothy said...

It is a fabulous bread (treat) :-)

Libby in TN said...

Ahh, there's always a punchline! In moderation .... I don't know that word. That's why I don't make bread or sweets!

patty a. said...

Wow that is a lot of calories per slice and that I assume is before you slap on some butter and jam! I have never made it and I would probably have a hard time remembering to feed the starter everyday. Keep playing with those blocks. I am sure you will find a layout that speaks to you!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't heard of that bread - the calories! and of course I'm sure it taste great with butter on it too LOL I have had to cut back on baking- the first couple months of social distancing I was doing too much of it now trying to control myself not to do too much
love the quilt

JustGail said...

The new block arrangement has me wondering - what if you transition from horizontal waves to Xs to vertical waves. Maybe with the waves in opposite corners?

Nann said...

I think I like yesterday's net layout. I first encountered Friendship Bread --called Herman (why? don't know) forty years ago this summer. What I quickly learned is that my circle of friends was too limited to give away all the starter, and that putting the starter in a too-small container in the fridge led to a lot of mopping up!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I love all the variations of bread that you can make from it, particularly a pineapple and coconut one. Unfortunately, I get tired of it after a while and just wind up throwing away the started!

Julierose said...

I made banana bread in my Oster machine this morning...our bananas went mushy so --waste not want not right? I have never made Amish Friendship Bread...am smitten with using my machine--ho kneading...
I like both of yesterday's settings, not sure about this one...
but those colors are super Stay safe and cool in this heat...
Hugs from my recliner (hahaha) Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

The Amish Friendship bread is definitely not diet food but it is delicious. Have fun playing the the blocks in your net/waves top.

Roxanne said...

I love the colors (so peaceful) and patterns you are showing with this Marcia Derse fabric. The vertical squiggles make me think of kelp in the ocean. Did you cut these with your Accuquilt?

Mary said...

Not sure about this layout either, but you’ll come up with something. I’ve had Amish bread. It’s wonderful but very dangerous for me to keep within reach!

The Joyful Quilter said...

My family LOVES that Amish Friendship Bread!! (I think our last loaf is still in the freezer. Oops!)

JJM said...

"Waves & Net" "Beachy colors" make for fun designing. The fabrics have a tumbled ocean glass color to me. I can see why the names.

Your bread looks delicious ! Wish I could have sugar again. I miss my deserts more than anything else that I've had to give up, on this low lectin grain free diet.

JJM

Needled Mom said...

I remember when the Amish Friendship bread was the big rage. I recall buttering the pans and sprinkling with the cinnamon sugar on mine.

Your blocks look like such fun. Seeing them arranged so differently is interesting. One could play with that all day.

Sally Langston Warren said...

I like this block arrangement the best (so far)! Love the fabrics. I always enjoy when you play with fabrics and arrangements. Thank you for thinking out loud with us! I haven’t made Amish bread, but I do have sourdough starter in my fridge. Would be glad to share some with you. Did you know that you can make bread using “Wild” yeast? I had never heard of such, but learned about it during the recent yeast shortage at the stores.

Mystic Quilter said...

Delicious looking bread but the calories are over the top!