Saturday, June 13, 2020

My Friday............


My first thought yesterday was to clean my main floor studio.  You can see to the left many layers of "stuff" piled on what should be a cutting table.  Almost everything in this room is on wheels and I need to move everything out and vacuum really well.  Then I realized I can't vacuum while I have the blocks on the design wall or they would go flying everywhere so onto plan B.
Plan B was to play with stash.  I have been going through my Marcia Derse stash and had pulled this combination of soft colors.  I think they would make a great baby quilt.
Awhile ago I bought a Kaffe Collective 10" stack.  I want to make some churn dash blocks so I chose some pairs.  Now I have to decide if they will be 2 color or 3 color blocks.  I may make samples both ways and see what I like best.
I have several pencil boxes of extra pieces that I cut when I made my batik pineapple log cabin and I had some leftover blocks.  I just had to put them up on the wall and see how many more blocks it would take to make a throw quilt.

And that was my day of fun.............and then I went out and pulled more weeds and I can actually see the rock edging on my back flower beds now.  

12 comments:

patty a. said...

That is such a beautiful space to work! We all have to break down and clean up once in a while! Your collection of Derse fabrics is lovely!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those pineapple blocks. I don't know how much I will get done with today - depends on my daughter and niece and how long they stay after lunch - porch visits tend to be shorter than inside visits so I might get a little done today after they both leave.
you are lucky to have several rooms to work from.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Yep a vacuum and design wall do not go well together. I have never had anything stay up well... or at least I don't count on it staying well, so I stick a pin in it!!! Not only do we have the creeping charlie, but another plant that is almost a twin called henbit, which is edible and apparently good in salad... I think I'll wait until I NEED to find out before trying it, myself tho.

Julierose said...

You have a great studio space, Wanda--lots of nice tables in there--I cleaned my little space yesterday--as much as I could; I boxed up projects and labeled them(for a change!); and I only left out 3 to work on concurrently..16-patch, Courthouse Steps, and SIL's binding to be made..of course some darn squirrel will run by and grab my attention probably hahaha
I love those batik pineapples--so pretty....
Have a super weekend, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

The pineapple blocks are gorgeous. So many possibilites. Hope you got your cutting table cleared off.

Needled Mom said...

My cutting table ends up looking like that all the time!!! I love those pineapple blocks. That will make a beautiful throw.

hetty said...

What a wonderful studio! Are you telling me a cutting table isn't supposed to look like that? Love your pineapple blocks. Can hardly wait to see your churn dash blocks using the Kaffe fabrics.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree that those MD fabrics would be marvelous as a baby quilt! Fun to see in side your upstairs studio - I remember standing in that room looking at your stash shelves and knowing that I needed to change my fabric storage system. I've never looked back!

Vivian Helena said...

Many years ago I was making a quilt with 2.5in. pieces, Watercolor, and had them on my design wall. I went to work and totally forgot the housekeeper was going to the house that day. And you guessed it all over the floor it went, It is still in the box, I never started it again. Love seeing all the ones that you have completed, and some day! It is on the list. it has only been about 20+ years. but who is rushing! You are an inspiration!

JJM said...

It was fun to see your main floor studio today with lots going on. And how wonderful to have every piece of furniture on wheels ! vacuuming can always be done another day.

Your stashes are always so fun to see... And OMG batik pineapple blocks are mesmerizing .
Great post today Wanda

JJM

Sharon Kwilter said...

Wow, you have a TV screen in your craft room; you're so lucky. Pawing through the fabric stash is the best part.

Mystic Quilter said...

A peek inside your studio is a treat! I'm slowly working on tidying and sorting here and there, I really need more space but that's not possible so it's back to creative thinking.
Don't those pineapple blocks just look amazing, I hope you do carry on and make a throw quilt.