Thursday, June 11, 2020

20 more blocks...........

I made 20 more blocks and added them to the design wall.  If I finished it right now it would be about 41" x 53", what I would consider a lap quilt, not even big enough to be called a throw quilt.  If I add one more row to the width and 2 rows to the length I will need to move the daisy blocks to a more balanced arrangement.

How did I get to this point on this quilt?  I started making Kaffe fabric rectangle blocks to have some soothing no-brainer sewing to do each day for my therapy.  The 2" strips were already cut and in a box on a shelf.  As I was sewing I started thinking about Kaffe orphan blocks in a box in the basement.  I found these daisy blocks left over from this project (scroll down in the post).  The only way to get started (out of a slump or stand-still) is to start sewing something.  Then the ideas and the enthusiasm start flowing.

The Milkweed is already forming its flower.  Usually that doesn't happen when it is still so short.

13 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I just wrote a longish comment but it didn't post - what's wrong with blogger at the moment!! grrr - liking your progress on this quilt - happy sewing :)

Julierose said...

I understand what you mean about starting with a little busy project and it all of a sudden explodes into a big deal!! This is very pretty with those extra blocks in there--
Grey, humid day here--feels like rain is about to fall...
Hugs from afar Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking good, Wanda! I'll be interested to see if you choose to expand the current layout.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Nice look. Probably would be more user friendly if it was bigger. Do the blocks have to be evenly spaced? I don't know how it would look if the big blocks were spaced differently.

hetty said...

Looking great! I love how things
sort of 'unfold' as you go along. Gives me ideas of what to do with my orphan blocks.

Roxanne said...

I like it very much and think it’s worthy of a little more size!

starsthatblaze said...

The orphan blocks add pizazz to the quilt!

Lynn Dykstra said...

great wisdom in that--if you don't know what to sew, start sewing.

Corrine said...

It could be a large baby quilt! It looks great.

Anne said...

Oh man... I'm in such a slump. I was telling a friend last night that I just don't feel any motivation to sew, but I'm so crazy bored that I need to do something. I had promised myself that I would finish up some UFOs during isolation, but I'm finding myself thinking about starting a new project. Just what I need... one more UFO.

JJM said...

This piece has 4th of July written all over it, as I see it. Love the big 'fire works' blocks and the rectangles seem to be the fire crackers all around them. Such fun to watch this one grow. (Monday) What fun mug rugs !

I think that is a little wren in the nest. There are several wren species... but is stature and beak tell me it is a wren.

Love your peonies and gardens.

JJM

p.s. I am still trying to get my iPad to be able to make a comment... But Google is not helping one bit..

Vicki W said...

I quite like your therapy blocks, especially with the daisy blocks added.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your daisy blocks, what a beautiful addition to your rectangles!