Monday, December 16, 2019

Trimmed and ready for binding...........

This is one of the very first batiks I ever bought, a Bali brand batik from the early 1990s.  This is what I chose for the binding on the African quilt.











I got the quilt trimmed, the basting pulled out and the binding cut.  










While I was in the basement doing all of that I finished doing the redwork on my embroidery machine.  

Evie (no reply commenter) asked yesterday who is the designer of the blocks.  It was a Cactus Punch package with designs in 2 sizes.  Sorry I don't know the name of the package.

I'm reading another David Baldacci book that is hard to put down.  I hope I can make enough time to sew on the binding today along with starting some cookie baking for the season.

It started to snow before 11 p.m. last night.  I'm hoping they are right that the main part of the storm will be south of us.

10 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I was fascinated to see your redwork and didn't realise embroidery machines could do things like that. Now I'm wondering how you finish the blocks off - I bet they'll be pretty. Is your Baldacci book 'a minute to midnight'? I finished listening to it last week. I get through so many audio books when sewing and the time seems to pass quicker - thank goodness for my free library account. Sorry you have snow; I know how housebound it can make you when it's high and dangerous to walk or drive.

patty a. said...

Looks like you will have another finish before the end of the year! That African quilt is so fabulous! I like the redwork squares. They will make a pretty quilt!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes I get so wrapped up in reading that I do not get much sewing done. I have to make time today for binding also

JJM said...

I enlarged 'red work' and studied each block separately, each one is so charming. This one I'm really anxious to see finished.
Your binding looks like you died it yourself to go with your African piece, it is perfect.

JJM

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

As usual - your African quilt is another beauty! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the redwork blocks - ;))

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I hadn't thought of doing redwork using an embroidery machine, not that I have one. Good idea!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Looks like a perfect fabric choice for that binding. Cold here now, but nothing like yours,

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice batik fabric! I didn't realise that you did redwork on your embroidery machine, lovely little characters.

kathy6024 said...

I have the newest David Baldacci book on my Christmas list. If I don't get it I'll be heading to Costco to buy it myself after Christmas. Glad to hear it's hard to put down. I've recently been enjoying the Kilts and Quilts series by Patience Griffin. If you haven't read them I can recommend them.

Linda said...

What is the name of the book you are reading?