Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Staystitching the quilt top edges...............


 Someone asked a while ago how I do the stay-stitching around my quilt tops.  At the time I didn't have one to demonstrate on.  What I do is put on the zigzag foot and move the needle to the right.  I have 9 needle positions from center to right on my 22 year old Pfaff and I set it at 7 to the right.  This allows the whole foot to be on top of the edge of the quilt top and still stitch less than 1/4" from the edge.


This shows that the stitching is approximately 3/16" from the edge of the quilt top.






I piece most of my quilt backings with a seam top to bottom and there is always a leftover strip.  I measure them and mark the sizes on a note that is stapled to the strip.  This is the group of brown and beige which could make a backing for the current quilt top.


I also checked for pieces that were long enough for one strip of backing and found this green one and brown one.





These 3 pieced together would be wide enough for the quilt.  I have plenty of time to think about these choices since this one won't be the next to be quilted.

1 comment:

Julierose said...

That Pfaff has the built-in walking foot right? I wish I had that--my Viking's foot is really hard to install...everything is for "lefties" and I think the threads on my screw hold for the foot holder are getting pretty worn. I installed the foot yesterday--it took a long time and my magnifying glasses to do it!! So while it is on, I quilted two lego placemats and I have 3 more pieces to quilt...2 bigger ones and one small...
51 degrees this morning --the warmest yet...hope to walk outside again while we can...hugs, Julierose