Friday, April 16, 2021

Colorwash filled in, star block progress..............


I finally came up with enough pieces to fill in the holes in the floral colorwash.  I can see one place I might need to change but I'm fairly happy with it.






I am really low on purple fabrics that work well and I haven't seen any online that I would want to order.  I'll go deep diving in the purple shelf one more time.




I got in my exercise yesterday mowing the front yard.  Two neighbors had mowed so I decided to join the crowd.  The back yard won't need mowing for a week or more.

Last night I sewed two of the blocks with the Marcia Derse fabrics and I really do like them so I'll cut some more pieces. 













I found 2 marbled Benartex fabrics from way back in the mid 1990s that I can use for light colors in the blocks above.  I won't sew any more blocks until I get them cut and sewn to a partner so the variety will be spread all through the blocks.  6 light fabrics will make it more interesting than 4.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Love that pearl fabric; you make such lovely colorwash pieces...
It is only 33 degrees here and a VERY cold rain...so far no snow....
My son's area is expected to get 6-7 inches...Winter's last stand (we can only hope!)
Stay warm -- hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The colorwash piece is coming along nicely! Those blocks are so pretty and the two light fabrics you found will look great for the stars. After I mowed my front last weekend I should have thrown down some weed and feed, but I was just too tired. With the rain this week, the weeds will really go wild!

JustGail said...

The new color wash is looking good. I *think* I see which one you might swap out, it will be interesting to see if I'm right. IF you swap it out that is. I remember sometimes you leave in one that's maybe not quite right as a point of interest (is that what you called it?).

I stopped at a couple of quilt shops looking for purple a few days ago. It was slim pickings for purple in general, and many on the shelf have a lot of pink in them. I wonder if that's what is being made now, or if those are what hasn't sold well. Or are the new pretty purples (real purple and blue-ish purples) are stuck in a container ship somewhere off California. I may need to make an excursion to Muscatine. I haven't been there since last summer.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The colorwash is doing its thing real well. Cold and dark here but the plants are still growing and tulips are on the cusp of blooming.

Anonymous said...

I like the little star that’s just off-center in your colorwash!
It’s a sad day in Colorado for redbud lovers, Wanda. We got about 4” of snow last night, and overnight temps are forecast to be below freezing for almost a week. Snow and cold in April aren’t unusual...in fact it’s pretty rare that we get to see redbuds in full bloom. I used to create a “micro-climate” by hanging strings of Christmas lights on ours, but that was when it was a smaller tree and I was a younger gal! We’ll just have to look forward to daffodils!
Terry W

Sally Trude said...

I would love to send you purples from my stash...it looks like you’re trying to walk the divide between bluish purple and magenta. Just let me know your specific criteria, and we’ll see if me and my stash can meet this challenge!

JJM said...

As always your Colorwash is mesmerizing. Gradations are supreme.

I like the precision of all the pieces in this star block, it sparkles.

JJM

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE those new star blocks, Wanda!!