Friday, May 22, 2020

Playing with jewels.......

I haven't pressed my jewel 16 patch blocks yet but decided to take one of each and put them on the design wall.  Here they are loosely grouped by color.










Then while I was watching "who wants to be a millionaire" I added some of the duplicate blocks and mixed up the colors.







Then I removed the lighter yellows and added more duplicate blocks.  The difference between this photo and what I see when I am in the room with this is all of the wonderful texture created by the designs in the fabrics.  You lose that totally in a photo.  It is a bunch of rich jewel toned texture in person.
I pulled some more strips to sew into blocks to replace the yellow ones.








One of my Columbines is blooming and I think that might be a Jack-in-the-Pulpit to the left of it.  I took this photo with my telephoto lens from the kitchen window.



The Peonies are still tight buds.  They usually bloom somewhere around Memorial day but with the holiday being early and spring being rather cold I think it will be the end of the month if not later for all but the one early plant.

13 comments:

Julierose said...

I'll just bet those jewel toned blocks look really rich in person...
My peony (I only have one bush transplanted from our old house)
is still tightly budded also--as are my irises,,,what a late season this year!!
I hope your Memorial Day weekend is a good one.
Stay safe ~ ~ ~ waving with my coffee cup Julierose

Connie said...

Have to admit I like the color gradation of the first one...

Marnie Haines said...

Oh this quilt is going to be a beauty! Not that the others are not! Watching you make strips, cut and sew them together and then mix on the wall is like watching a painter mixing and using oils. Have a great weekend in your lovely garden. Marnie

mb-RI said...

Beautiful colors. This quilt will be lovely! The photo with the yellow gives nice contrast and makes it glow.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love all the colors you use in it to make the patchwork sparkle.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I kind of liked it with the yellows. But then again, I am looking at a photo, not the real fabric. I love the very rich tones, jewel like as you write.

hetty said...

Stunning. Your work is like a symphony, with all the instrumental sections coming together in harmony. My peonies are just coming up. No buds yet. But I did notice a few Jack-in-the-Pulpit yesterday.

patty a. said...

There are so many different ways to arrange those blocks. The colors in person have to be spectacular! It is fun to watch the garden and how it changes everyday. I was happy to see that I am finally getting some flower stalks on my cora bells. They just have not grown much so I don't think they have had the energy to have flowers. They finally look better this year!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gorgeous saturated jewel tones - I like those new fabrics you've pulled. It's raining here today and I'm enjoying the lush shades of green from indoors. I can smell those peonies already . . .

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Your 16-patches are looking good. The fabrics have such a rich range of colors and textures. Have a good weekend.

Nann said...

That is indeed a Jack in the Pulpit. My peonies are at the same stage.
I have the vegetable garden halfway planted. Sunshine today is so welcome!
........The sixteen patch blocks glow!

JJM said...

My oh my ~ what a beauty this 16 patch is ! I too liked the"lighter" yellow and gold blocks in there. Either way it is sensational to say the least.

JJM

The Joyful Quilter said...

While I don't mind the yellow blocks in the quilt, I can see why you chose to take them out. Can't wait to see the new blocks added in! It's always interesting to see a quilt develop.