Monday, May 11, 2020

16 patch roundup...........

I might have made a 16 patch quilt before 2013 but that is the year I that I made several of them mainly as therapy when my dad was in his last months of life.  It is a pattern I have come to love and I will probably make many more of them.  Some were just one color: orange, purple, pink, blue; some were 2 color pink and green (2 of them in this collage, 1 in the collage below) and red and purple.  Two in this collage are African fabrics with black as the alternate fabric in the 16 patch.  Many of them were multicolor.  Two in the photo above are tops that were sold and the rest are finished quilts.
Then a couple years ago I started experimenting with inserting alternating squares of print fabric or in the case of the one in the upper left, a paper pieced block in the same colors as the multi-size 16 patch blocks.  Three in the collage above are just tops and 2 are finished quilts.  

I did a tutorial on the 16 patch in which all of the seams are going in opposing directions at every intersection (if you follow the directions!).  It can be found on my website, just click on free resources.

I wish I had made a label "16 patch" when I started making these but I had no idea I would make so many.  The best way to find the different posts is to go up to the top left corner of my blog and there is a Search box.  Type in 16 patch and every post that I mentioned those words will come up.  

15 comments:

Quayquilter said...

How wonderful. I have just made my first 16 patch in Cherrywood fabrics and it won't be my last. You open up so many possibilities.

Lesley Gilbert said...

It was nice to see all the 16 patches grouped together, to show the different variations of colours. I look at yours and want to make one but there is always something else to sew :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Seeing all the variations is wonderful. I have my favorites, but they are all gorgeous. Quite impressive all together.

Nann said...

Simple shapes shine when the fabric does the heavy lifting! (A question: how did you make the collage in the top photo? Google Photos only allows 9 pictures to be put in a collage.)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

they all really look good - the color arrangement is what really makes them and you are so excellent at that.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is a fabulous post! I love your sixteen patch tutorial - I use it on all of mine.

hetty said...

Beautiful! Simplicity and color! You have inspired me. I definitely see one of these in my future.

BatikFanatic said...

A simple block, but infinite in variety and interest! The 16-patch is my favorite for times calling for a soothing yet beautiful project. These are gorgeous!

Lynn Dykstra said...

The 16-patch is a most satisfying block and your use of it has taken it to a high level. I adore these examples!

Kristin said...

I've never made a 16 patch but yours are all beautiful. I love the orange one!

patty a. said...

What a fantastic array of 16 patch quilts! 16 patch quilts are among my favorite quilts to make.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many beautiful quilts made from the humble 16-Patch block, Wanda!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your 16-patch is one of my favorite patterns - all of the seams nest so nicely - IF you follow the directions - and the color combinations are endless. Thanks for sharing - ;))

As a side note - I stopped putting labels on my posts when I discovered the search box in the top left corner - that's how I find MY old posts on any given topic - LOL - ;))

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a splendid display of your 16 patch quilts, they're stunning! I'll definitely check out your tutorial, I have baskets full of batiks which I think would be perfect for 16 patch.

Sharon said...

These are all gorgeous. It's great when you have a pattern you love and the outcome is so different simply by value/color choices. Take care