Saturday, November 1, 2008

Basket progress

I made a few more blocks last night and added them to the existing layout. Then I had to play a little. I took all of the double 4 patches out put just the baskets on the design wall.

Then I rearranged the blocks and put the darkest double 4 patches in the center area.
And last, I added all of the double 4 patch blocks so you can see I need to make more baskets.
I rarely have the whole quilt idea when I start cutting fabrics. I want to play with ideas as I go and see if something unexpected occurs, like a quilt better than one I could have imagined. I'm still not sure where this one is headed. It may camp out on the design wall while I do some finishing on some others, and of course I just may start another one.

11 comments:

Vicki W said...

Wherever it's headed it's a good place!

Jean said...

This is going to be gorgeous!

Cathi said...

Stunning. It looks so rich!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your play time with us. As usual inspiration at its best. Each photo has a wonderful look and love all the possibilities you have shown.

J~MT

Christina said...

it's wonderful!

Unknown said...

It is looking absolutely Wandaful!!

Elsie Montgomery said...

As you move things around, it gives us instruction in how to look at various designs and decide which one is the most pleasing. Take a photo is invaluable... avoids the horrible realization that I liked #3 but can't remember how it was laid out!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sigh... and the fabrics for my basket quilt are still glaring at me from the shelf ~ love the work you're doing (I love the layouts with the four-patch blocks, but also like the baskets on their own. Glad the final decision isn't up to me!)

jovaliquilts said...

So much fun to watch the rearranging! Thank you.

TB said...

It's beneficial to take the time to work with the design, and I'm afraid that I do not do enough of that; you're an inspiration and reminder to do that (although my design board is not large enough!). In my humble opinion, I prefer the arrangement as it is in the first photo. In the last photo, my eye is drawn to the right-most string of dark blocks in the double 4-patches rather than the whole piece. It will be a lovely quilt no matter what the final layout.

Marilyn said...

Wandaful, wandaful darlin'! Couldn't resist. Love the way your mind works. Personally, I like the last one. Since I'm in the voting mode. Don't forget everyone--exercise your right to vote on Tuesday if you haven't already.