Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Between projects

Every time I am between projects I make more strip piecing from my batik scraps and clean up cuts. I do a major sorting before I start since all scraps just get thrown into a heap. This little basket contains full width strips (clean up cut strips).
I sort the rest by lengths into groups. This is why there are so many different length sewn sections.

I start sewing the pieces that are in one of the groups, and when I am bored with the color selection I go to the basket of full width strips and cut off a piece for the length I am working with.
You can go to this post to see some of the things I do with these pieces. I have some new ideas for the latest batches.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your approach to getting use out of those scraps, wonderful!

Cathi said...

Your basket looks like such fun to play with!

Quiltdivajulie said...

And this approach is how my "cloak of many colors" quilt came to be... it's away being quilted now (I've seen the thread and panto choices ~ anxious for it to return home!).

And I continue to save my batiks scraps...

Joyce said...

That's a great way to organize all those scraps.

em's scrapbag said...

What a great way to organize and use scraps.

hetty said...

I have a huge bin of batik scraps too. So far I never really knew what to do with them. This is a great way to organize and use them! Thanks

Anonymous said...

Your organization is amazing ~ no matter what project you are working on.

J~MT

Candy Schultz said...

I realize I am never between projects because I always have about fifteen started at any given time. Job security (in my mind).

Helen in the UK said...

Today is the first time I've visited your blog. What fantastic quilts you make - love your colour and fabric selections. Will check back again :)

Julia Wood said...

I love the way you work! Your strippy quilts make my heart sing.

Wanda said...

Thanks to you I'm playing with my strips too!!! I'm making "cat quilts"...just to practice the quilting and binding and, well, everything. Little things are way easier to handle than my mega-quilt!