Saturday, November 22, 2008

Advent bag gifts

Our church makes 12 Advent bags each year and this year I volunteered to do an embroidery of the church on kitchen towels. Here are 9 of the 12 needed. I will have to do 3 more after work and then wrap all of them. I scanned the drawing of the church from our church bulletin and took the .bmp into class for "Quiltworks" which will turn a drawing into stitches.
A lot of times I do the machine embroidery redwork without a stabilizer, but I wasn't happy with my first try at that (not pictured). Then I tried a waffle weave towel with a crisp paper type stabilizer, but I had to wet it to get all of the paper out and I didn't want to do that on 12 of them. Finally I went to Easy Tear lightweight stabilizer and it worked well. There was a lot of thread breakage with cotton embroidery thread, so each 7 minute embroidery took me about 15 minutes (or more) from hooping to finish.

Here are the cards from yesterday's post with the stitching done around the edges.
Hi, ho, hi, ho, it's off to work I go. I'm filling in for someone today and luckily Saturday is a short day at the store.

9 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Neat idea... I think I asked already, but what embroidery machine do you use? I've been thinking of getting one. Might need a new wing on the house though!

It is good to be home. I've lots of ideas to sort through. Seoul is an inspiring place, not so much for actual art as the creativity of its people. They use well what they have.

hetty said...

Your little embroideries look fantastic. Lots of work, but worth it! The finished postcards turned out great too. I think I have postcard fever! I see a lot of these things on blogs and yesterday I started to play around with some fabric to make them. I am nowhere near having a completed postcard, but sooner or later I'll master the technique!

Anonymous said...

So impressed the church embroidery looks hand stitched. What do you set your machine on to get that custom stitched look?

Satin edged cards finished to perfection.

J~MT

Christina said...

That looks a lot like my church. LDS?

jovaliquilts said...

Those came out so well! Thanks for the explanation of how you did it. What are advent bags?

meggie said...

Lovely little towels.
Cards are special when finished.

Sharon said...

Everything looks so good. The church embroidery DOES look hand-stitched. What a time investment, though ~ although faster than by hand. You've been very busy lately!

Jean said...

Very pretty embroidery. They will love these bags!

Chris Daly said...

What a great idea! This looks wonderful.