Friday, August 18, 2017

Pressing, cutting.......

Here are 4 more combinations of the Australian fabrics for Hunter Star.   I spent quite a bit of time pressing the fabrics that I'm cutting for this quilt.  I have seen so many tutorial videos where the presenter lays wrinkled fabric on the mat and then proceeds to show cutting.  The only way to have accurately cut shapes is to have flat unwrinkled fabric.  The fold lines take awhile to press out but it is so necessary.

This is the next batch ready to cut.  They have to be layered all right side up for this die so after cutting the shape needed to cover the die, I then have to layer each pile correctly.  These 2 groups will make 32 more blocks to add to the 48 I have done.  They are 6" blocks so there will be lots more cutting.
Here is the first Hunter Star quilt top I made 2 years ago.  It has 96 blocks and was 48" x 72".  If I can stick with it I want to make the Australian fabric one a little larger.

11 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I say stick with it!!! I think the Australia one will be so dynamic!!! I with you on the show and share... stuff without the great preparation.... Makes if difficult to follow along when all you can see is clutter, or wrinkles or graphics that steal your attention. Some day I think I will attempt a Hunters Star...

Gene Black said...

I think that is the most common mistake I have seen in tutorials - wrinkled fabric. I press my scraps before I cut them - even if I am doing freestyle/wonky piecing. It is simply a part of the process.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Over the years, I have striven to get rid of/not fall into sloppy habits. Using wrinkled fabric is a trap because it seems easier at the time, but when it comes time for things to fit, it causes more headaches than anything. The cleaner my process gets, the happier I am with the results and then it seems effortless to do things the right way off the bat.

Hedy said...

I can't even imagine not ironing my fabric! Horrors!! I also press each seam twice, before I flip it over and afterward. I learned how to quilt in a six week class and there were only two other students besides me so we really got attention to details like pressing and that scant 1/4 seam. Your Hunters Star from a few years back us beautiful, I love the color in the blocks.

Anonymous said...

These fabrics are rich and beautiful. Do you size or starch your fabric as you press? Do you size or starch your finished blocks?

patty a. said...

There are a lot of poor tutorials out there leading novices in the wrong direction. To me an iron is one of the most important tools a quilt maker has.

Needled Mom said...

I can't imagine using wrinkled fabric for that pattern.

Cathi said...

I hope you can stick with it - Hunter's Star is such a fabulous pattern and in those Australian fabrics it will be stunning!!

kathy6024 said...

I use a product called Flatter to get out the stubborn folds in the fabric. It's available at lots of quilt stores. It's a fabric relaxer, rather than a sizing agent. Have you ever tried it? Kathy

melinda hirsch said...

What a gorgeous bunch of fabrics!

Jeri said...

I'm so tired of seeing videos of people cutting with wrinkles in the fabric and at the end showing a perfect block. They need to video in real time with real time ironing!
Jeri Oldtisme@aol.com