A few days ago I showed some fabric that might work as alternate blocks sprinkled through the new quilt I'm working on. I tried these 3 yesterday.
This is the one I thought would be most likely to work. The idea is to have a print that blends with the blocks, not one that stands out as "here I am". The purpose of the blocks is to enlarge the quilt without having to piece more blocks.
This one is still a possibility but I think it might be too obvious.
I thought ths one was too busy but I kind of like it. I can get 16 blocks for sure out of a yard of fabric and on some could get 20, depending on how wide that white selvage is.
Then it was time to layer 10 stratas, staggered by 1" (following lines on the cutting mat) and cut pieces for the next 20 blocks. I actually did that twice and got the last 20 cut also.
This is one block each of the first 20 blocks (there are 2 alike in every combination) which equals 1/4 of the quilt top. The lightest block is in the top row and I think it is going to be fine with the darker blocks.
I sewed a lot of blocks last night, with just 6 left to sew today. I have a lot of decisions to make. Do I want a quilt 72" x 88" or do I want to make 2 smaller quilts (and piece a few more blocks)? I could add in more blues and greens if I made more blocks.






5 comments:
Thank you for explaining the reasoning you have for the fabric choice for alternate blocks. That makes so much sense, to use a blending pattern or color! I like the fabric that you have chosen for this photo shoot. It does work well with your blocks.
Love the new strata--I think the blues will add a lot...i don't know about the alternating blocks--difficult choice...
64: damp, dark, and gloomy this morning; hoping the sun will come out and dry us up a bit...My daughter is on her way home from Portugal from her week getaway...if the weather stays like this it will be a shock for sure!! I'll be glad to hear she's landed safely...Hugs, Julierose
I agree the light block will work just fine and I like the second fabric the best for the alternate blocks.
I like the third photo's fabric for alternate block the best.
Well, I messed that up. It's the fourth photo's fabric I like the best.
Post a Comment