Thursday, August 13, 2026

Still thinking...................


 As I navigated the day's adventures, I was continually thinking about the project.  I have mentioned more than once that I have a short attention span, which means I get bored if I work too long on something.  So here is where I am now: top left is 20 finished 6" blocks, all pressed, top right 12 more finished blocks not pressed, bottom left 4 more waiting for floral corners (need to cut more) and 4 nine patches that I may or may not use in this project.

Here are my options.  If I used sashing with the 36 blocks I could make a baby quilt 42" square.  If I use alternate squares I'll have 72 blocks. 8 rows x 9 rows would not be a good proportion of a rectangular quilt at 48" x 54".  If I used 63 of the blocks (7 x 9) it would be 42" x 54".  If I use the extra 4 nine patches I would have 80 blocks, 48" x 60".  Since so many of my fabric options would work, I think the final decision will come down to what size I want the quilt to finish.

Now, how yesterday went.  We had a big severe storm going through around 9 a.m. and when I heard the weather person mention the next town over for radar detected rotation that could turn into a tornado, I headed for the basement.  Luckily it didn't turn into one and continued on its way.  We got 1.1" of rain, added to .75" a day and a half earlier.  More storms predicted for the next few days as we are in the "ring of fire" which sets up north of a heat dome and south of a cold front.

My longarm quilter came an hour later than we originally planned.  I did some more sorting and organizing in the basement and then sewed the floral triangles on the 12 blocks.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

We had many big thunder and lightning storms all last night--.75" of rain which is a lot for us here...so interrupted sleep as a result...;(((
Time to marinate ideas is always good...
69 and still raining lightly here...hoping this will keep us cooler for a few days now... hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

Well it sounds like you have some thinking to do about what size to make this quilt top. We had a bit of rain around 4:30 pm yesterday, but nothing crazy. It has gotten cooler here, but the humidity is awful.

helenreimers said...

Glad you were safe. We are under the heat dome you were talking about. It was been over 100 for a long week. With no relieve in sight. Just Oklahoma in August.

Kristin said...

I really love these blocks! You are a genius at combining fabrics. I don't know whether I would ever have thought to combine fabrics like these. Looking forward to seeing the final quilt! P.S. I did see something about a tornado watch for a small town outside of Chicago and thought of you and wondered if your town would be affected, Glad you're OK.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm glad you didn't get the tornado they can be scary. I get bored quickly at times too

Cherie Moore said...

Glad the storm moved along and there weren’t any tornados in your area. You have quite a bit to consider for this quilt. Vacationing is fun of a different kind but I sure miss my quilt studio, especially when I’m catching up on blogs!